User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [OCG] Weekly Jump Spoilers

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the contribution.

They are counterparts to Uni and Corn it seems.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archsorcerer View Post
    Thanks for the contribution.

They are counterparts to Uni and Corn it seems.
    Uni and Corn were lesbians?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionStorm View Post

Seems like it...now whats up with Buster Blader & Buster Dragon...
    Warera wa hitotsu ni

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something tells me the new Gandora is rigged in such a way that it can set itself up for its own effect; just pitching two different Gandoras for its summon alone banishes the whole of the field beyond itself, ramping itself up and letting you swing freely with the power.

Beyond that, with ALL of them being Level 8 monsters with 0 printed ATK and DEF, I imagine it'd actually be rather easy to set him and his counterparts up to make the most use of him; there's lots of support options available both to do things like chuck them out of the deck, add them to hand (e.g., Draconnection can throw an undesired Gandora back in favor of one you actually want, while Recurring Nightmare can actually re-add a pair of Gandoras from your GY), or even summon them from the Deck (in Gandora X's case, totally aware original!Gandora will have none of that).

It might actually be possible to make a deck work around these guys, whether you decide to go all-out with all 3 Gandoras or try to simply frustrate with two (X and the new guy would probably work best) -- with how easy it is to get the new guy out AND back (again, Recurring Nightmare), it might be possible to make it work relatively reliably.
    Last edited by Baroque; 9th December 2016 at 11:59 AM.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorShun View Post
    Seems like it...now whats up with Buster Blader & Buster Dragon...
    Sweet, platonic affection.
    Seriously, the artwork on Destruction Swordsman Memories is gorgeous, and paints a terribly sad picture.
    Like Link and Volvagia from the Legend of Zelda manga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    PP19 will be available in Japan on December 17 at Jump Festa. It doesn't get released for sale until next year though.
    a right ta mate

Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairuga View Post
    Okay, Listen up. I singlehandedly made an account to say this.
    Bara, as you and other people in this thread has managed to point out, is the theme / name of these cards. And no, they are not big, beefy males.
    Bara, derivates from the japanese name バラゾク, lit. Pronounced Barazoku, and is thus often shorthanded to "Bara". This literally translates to "Flower Tribe", and was the name of one of the first japanese gay men's magazines that were being published at the time. As the name implies, it is used to refer to flowery males. I.e. effeminate men. Or Homosexuals, in laymen terms.

So here, clearly, they take the interpretation literally and made an archetype of flower-people with the play on the word "Bara".
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bara#Etymology
    The term barazoku was once relatively more common in the Japanese gay community (the magazine Barazoku starting publication in 1971), but has long since gone out of fashion in Japan, having been replaced by terms like ガチムチ (gachimuchi).
    The term bara often contrasts with yaoi, which is gay male media usually made by heterosexual women to appeal to other heterosexual women. Whereas bara typically emphasizes masculine homoeroticism and frank explicit sexual situations, yaoi typically emphasizes the androgynous bishonen aesthetic and depicts emotional romantic relationships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bara_(genre)
    Bara can vary in visual style and plot, but typically features masculine men with varying degrees of muscle, body fat, and body hair, akin to bear culture (熊?, kuma) in gay culture.

Bruh, that might have been the origin, but bara has meant big beefcakes for literally decades now. Unless someone working on the YGO manga is a 70-year-old gay guy who remembers when bara meant effeminate males, everyone in the East and West now knows it to mean what I think it means, because it does now.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionStorm View Post
    I haven't read the manga but Uni and Corn were depicted very fan-servicey in some images.

The pic used by maxut on twitter shows Yuzu smitten with the Flower boys.

Cards for a different audience.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    Unless someone working on the YGO manga is a 70-year-old gay guy who remembers when bara meant effeminate males, everyone in the East and West now knows it to mean what I think it means, because it does now.
    I feel I should chime in that one should never underestimate Yu-Gi-Oh! designers' potential to reach back in time for the sake of a reference. This is a game where Kaiju from old movies, Dante Alighieri and his personal demons, Canadian fossils, and a small cross-section of aviation history could all pop up over the course of two duels; I would not put it past them to reach back a ways for effeminate flower-men for the sake of a pun (especially in the OCG, which kinda adores wordplay).
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone else notice the forums were basically dead till someone mentioned lesbians?
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.