User Tag List

Thread: The absent of DEF on LINK monsters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The absent of DEF on LINK monsters

I don't know where should I put this thread. So, if this seems out of place, please let me know and advise me what to do.
    In this thread I want to discuss about what are the possible reasons that make LINK monsters to not have DEF stats and what IF they have DEF stats.

If LINK monster has DEF stats, the 1st problem I can think of is that where it will face towards in defense position, considering its LINK markers/pointers. Will the card face left? Or right?
    They can solve this problem by making a new rule, something like:
    "LINK monsters in defense position should always face towards the center of the field."
    Which means, if a LINK monster is summoned to the left Extra monster zone, the card must face right in defense position, and vice versa.
    But then, it will make another confusion. Towards which direction will the LINK monster (in defense position) face if it occupies the center main monster zone.
    In this case, we'll need a new rule. Maybe the ones in the center can freely choose whether to face right or left just like other type of monster cards.
    Well… currently the new mechanic has been making many confusions anyway, letting it have DEF stats and adding those new rules should not be a problem.

Pros:
    If LINK monsters have DEF and can be in defense positions, with all of the new rulings above, I think that it will create less rulings confusions and contradictions like it is currently. And it may bring the "positioning" mechanic and strategies to a further level for the game.

Cons:
    As we can see, the LINK summoning seems to be an attempt for Konami to slow down the game. If LINK monsters can go into defense position, I'm afraid it can be abused and make the attempt in vain. The player can change the battle position of the LINK monster next turn to open new Extra Monster Zones with just 1 LINK monster, which I think isn't something Konami intends to be.
    A new rule can be added: "LINK monsters battle position cannot be changed, except by a card effect."
    But, there are already many cards/effect that can change the card's position, which means it still potentially can be abused.

So, what are your thoughts about this?

Additional discussion:
    Spoiler Alert!

One thing that many players don't like about this new mechanic is that players are kinda forced to use LINK monsters. I also think that this is a bad idea, unless there will be alternative ways to open more Extra Monster Zones.
    In my opinion, they should make a new type of backrow cards (spell/trap). Something like a continuous spell card with LINK markers.
    This will create more play styles. Either playing this new type of card and spam Extra Deck, or more backrow heavy. It will help to prevent players to create a board with many extra deck monsters while having trap cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you fought a pretty strong case for link monsters to get def mode but I think the lack of flexibility to turn into def position is also a strategy aspect. Like some counters such as quaking mirror force & book of moon become useless. Like how level limit area b & gravity bind fail on xyz monsters.
    I don't think s/t with link markers are good as they are would still give the vibe of 'buy them to use extra' and I prefer link monsters to continue to compete for the tight 15-card extra deck space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeWu View Post
    I think you fought a pretty strong case for link monsters to get def mode but I think the lack of flexibility to turn into def position is also a strategy aspect. Like some counters such as quaking mirror force & book of moon become useless. Like how level limit area b & gravity bind fail on xyz monsters.
    Since LINK monsters expand Extra Monster Zones, I think that it can be both the main strategy or a play opener/preparation.
    As a play opener, IMO, it would be better if they are more flexible.
    I also think that it will be more interesting if "positioning" strategy becomes the main selling point in this format.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeWu View Post
    I don't think s/t with link markers are good as they are would still give the vibe of 'buy them to use extra' and I prefer link monsters to continue to compete for the tight 15-card extra deck space.
    But I still think that alternative ways to expand Extra Monster Zone is needed. Currently, LINK monsters are the only way to expand Extra Deck Zones.
    So, either we can play LINK monsters + other extra deck monsters + heavy s/t (tighter space for extra deck monster, but more space for strong backrows, like the solemn traps)
    Or s/t with LINK markers + Extra deck monsters (more space in extra deck with the cost of spell/trap cards space in main deck and on the field)
    Something like that.