User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Near-Release VRAINS Information

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    Based on a world set ten years in the future. Yoshida, don't pull this crap again.
    It's a common thing. It's a soft storyline setup that's used to justify otherwordly advances in the technology that exists in the work. Many stories do it, even if not all make mention of doing so in the same way.

I say cut him some slack there.

Quote Originally Posted by LolsterXD97 View Post
    Both fall flat in comparison to Judai anyway. I challenge Yusaku to have +70 Duels.
    Heh, that is true, yeah. Believe it or not, that slipped my mind at the time of writing, but my point remains, if it's not further reinforced.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 6th May 2017 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's a common thing. It's a soft storyline setup that's used to justify otherwordly advances in the technology that exists in the work. Many stories do it, even if not all make mention of doing so in the same way.

I say cut him some slack there.

Heh, that is true, yeah. Believe it or not, that slipped my mind at the time of writing, but my point remains, if it's not further reinforced.
    I just dislike the seeming lack of continuity nods this will encourage.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually find a secondary character within the first few episodes of the show to latch on to as my favorite and I think Specter will probably be the one. That devious look of his seems to hide so many secrets.

I think I've read before that Yusaku always keeps calm and composed and has expert analytical/observational skills. All of that reminds me of Yusei so this should be good. Even the expression on Yusaku's face in most of his poster pictures shows him having a serious face. I'm all for it after having Yuma and Yuya back to back.
    A Fallen Hero Is The Best Kind of Villain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Based on the fact that the show starts with a "3-Episode Pilot" staring Yusaku and his actions, as well as the 3 bulleted points at the end, particularly that 3rd one, this further confirms my thought process that felt that this show is gonna be focused on Yusaku, and that anyone who isn't Yusaku or connected to his story and plight likely won't have much of any agency or character of their own. That last point implies this somewhat heavily in my opinion because it mentions that Yusaku doesn't Duel offline and that Duels will basically be only online. Though one may choose to argue that those two points might not be mutually exclusive (though they're n the same sentence), I do feel they point in that direction. Similarly, anyone who doesn't Duel online might be hamstrung, like poor Noaki, who may remain a "fan of Dueling" and of Playmaker indefinitely (assuming they don't introduce him to online play as a storyline, that is, but it remains to be seen if anyone not connected to Yusaku's desires, the SOL Corp. or the Hacker Knights will be allowed to have anything to themselves at this point).
    There's some hope, at least. Aoi looks like she has something vaugely approaching a character arc, with he dealin with her big brother and whatnot. There are things she can do.
    But she's a girl in Yu-Gi-Oh, so I won't expect as much from her as I would like to.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LolsterXD97 View Post
    Both fall flat in comparison to Judai anyway. I challenge Yusaku to have +70 Duels.
    GX has the excuses of:
    A, half the cast being phased out by season 3
    B, Half of THAT cast Dying in season 3 and 4

Hell, half of season 1 focused more or less solely on Jaden (Jaden dodging Crowler's expulsion of the week) as it's plot

5D's benching Aki, leo and luna or Zexal for ....anyone not named Yuma Shark or Kaito (srsly they go an establish Tetsuo and Cathy to be good, and never use them...) has no such excuse. that cast was present the whole way, and did NOTHING

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    There's some hope, at least. Aoi looks like she has something vaugely approaching a character arc, with he dealin with her big brother and whatnot. There are things she can do.
    But she's a girl in Yu-Gi-Oh, so I won't expect as much from her as I would like to.
    Yusaku duels said brother to instantly solve all issues. probably without even knowing what those issues were...
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks bad, Todd.

Not looking forward to another "one big plot thread that all gets resolved hastily in the last twelve episodes" plot. (Revolver is gonna' be his dad, we all fucking know it. Or they'll be some stupid plot point based around his feelings towards his father since YGO has become increasingly Freudian with every spin-off.) IMO, YGO works way better as a "problem of the season" series like DM and GX (Which somehow manage to tie completely disparate plot lines together better than the recent series even though the newer ones aren't even supposed to have differing plot threads...) and even sort of 5D's compared to ZeXal, Arc-V and now VRAINS' style of essentially being one long, drawn-out story that fails to be as interesting as all the sub-plots and characters that never get developed. The aesthetic of the world and characters feel like a combination of ZeXal and 5Ds, my least favorite of the spin-offs, so that doesn't inspire confidence, either. Switching from "is it magic? is it science? to "it's just fucking science" was an absolutely garbage choice for the series to go down, though that's actually Arc-V's fault more than anyone else's...

Honestly, I'm never quite going to be able to accept this as a real YGO show. Not because I'm actively trying to deny it, but every time I see a screenshot of it, I think "wow, this looks 100% like what bad YGO rip-off shows like Cardfight look like", in the same way that everyone looks at Digimon and thinks "oh, this is that bad Pokemon rip-off". The art style, the story and the characters themselves become further detached from reality with each spin-off, in accordance with how hard it tries to reach a younger audience.

Uh, I mean, "hooray, new YGO, let's give it a fair shot before it inevitably disappoints us!" Don't be afraid to try new things, indeed.
    Last edited by Voltanis The Adjudicator; 7th May 2017 at 01:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Kaiser View Post
    srsly they go an establish Tetsuo and Cathy to be good, and never use them
    Tetsuo was established to be better than Yuma at the beginning of the series, but that isn't really saying a lot. I don't think Cathy has even won a duel off-screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    I just dislike the seeming lack of continuity nods this will encourage.
    Do you mean nods within VRAINS or between different series? The first should obviously not be a problem, and the second has been done even in the like of Zexal, which had various nods and allusions in spite of otherwise not having any direct connections to previous series.

Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    There's some obvious setup for most of the characters introduced here. We'll just need to see how they'll play out in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Tetsuo was established to be better than Yuma at the beginning of the series, but that isn't really saying a lot. I don't think Cathy has even won a duel off-screen.
    Cathy did, as she had a partially filled Heart she gave to Pip after losing to her (which also didn't go anywhere beyond being the reason Cathy was no longer in the tournament...).

The point is, Yuma's school friends were setup early on as if they were going to have relevance and agency of some kind beyond being Yuma's friends who cheered him on, and in the end, they only occasionally even did that, what with how Tori was the only one who stuck by Yuma to the end (girl gets bonus points because of that alone). Bronk, Cathy, and, on a different level, Flip were used at first as if they were going to be more than they ended up being. A lot of folks who didn't care for them probably don't even acknowledge their original potential and their misuse, but it was their and they were misused. (It gets my goat when I hear people say how "misused" Arc-V's characters were, even though they were majorily used quite well, just not as those people wanted, when passed series did these things so much more so and tend to be ignored, "forgotten", or excused.)

Yuma grew, but everyone else stayed the same, bar Tori, and only really because she at least didn't ditch Yuma when it was convenient for the writers, as the writers had the others do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    Tetsuo beat 96 and apparently beat Yuma some 300 odd times

Cathy basically proved to be Yuma's near equal on introduction.

Both were good enough to enter the WDC. and what do they get?

Tetsuo did literally jack shit after having his ass handed to him by IV til the end of the series. then got smacked around by the Emperors for being a side character.
    Cathy didn't even get to get worfed by the Emperors. fuck she did literally nothing of significance from start to finish.

on that note, why the hell did they even make the Cat vs Dog episode. it amounted to nothing whatsoever. neither of them even got their cards printed. and from Zexal era, that is actually noteworthy given they printed half assed archetypes like Star Seraphs (prior to the exclusives) or the Umbral Horrors. I feel like the only reason Cathy existed is because the Writers decided Yuma needed a stalker/fangirl.....

or because she didn't use Rank 4's

Fuck, even Tristan and Tea were treated better then this, even in the filler.
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specter looks like someone who's planning to betray Revolver