User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: [VP17] Trickstar Bloody Mary

  1. #21
    Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sanctuary In The Sky
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haloichigo1 View Post
    I wouldnt say that types are completly locked into certain play styles. Yes there are instances where a type or attribute generates a certain play style especially in fire who is synonymous with burn, but this is mostly a preconcieved notion of how players view type and attribute. Light is supposed to be healing, but how many light or even fairy decks concentrate on healing? How many wind decks actually focus on bouncing? How many earth decks concentrate on battle position? The truth is not many cards or decks are victims of lack of creativity due to type, but for most of the time other reasons.
    It's not about how players play, it's about what Konami makes. Cards like Fire Cracker or Fire Trooper that are just bursting with self-destructive damage wouldn't be made as a Winged Beast or a WATER monster. Yes there's variety, but that variety is determined by Konami who will follow more traditional ideas of what makes a demon a demon, what makes a plant a plant, what makes a zombie a zombie and what makes a woman a woman, essentially.

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellar28 View Post
    *Cyberse

    #GetTriggered
    *Cyverse

    #GetGoodGrammar

  2. #22
    Registered User Baroque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what world is using the wrong spelling for what is honestly a made-up word via portmanteau 'good grammar'?

    As for type roles, to be fair, it's not like they haven't shaken things up in the past -- e.g., in Duel Terminal, we've seen 'what makes a demon a demon' suddenly spat out at us as LIGHT-attribute humanoids or little imps wrangling fantastic beasts (in the form of various Beast/beast-alike types) and DARK-attribute insectoid legions rather than anything close to the 'typical' devilish DARK Fiends, invading aliens thrown at us as slimy, slithery, gooey all-LIGHT Reptiles, and a gaggle of mechanical monsters typed as almost everything but Machines until they started having to pinch-hit for a DARK-attribute army of mechanical good guys, as well as (for an aside) burning Dinosaurs.

    And it's not like the role of a type or attribute hasn't managed to be changed or tweaked or outright made to not matter in the past -- e.g., prior to Counter Fairies, we would never have associated Fairy-type and Counter Traps with one another, and who among us would ever associate any of the core mechanics of Cloudians (counter generation/economics, battleproofing, heavy desire to be in Attack Position to the point of self-destruction if elsewise) with either its Type OR Attribute?

    Undeniably, certain aesthetics OR mechanics lend themselves better to certain Types, Attributes, or combinations thereof, but outside of certain Cards One Must Design Around (e.g., Rekindling) most of it doesn't need to be tied-down by type/attribute identities, and so they aren't always . . . even if they aesthetically will be often enough due to players' expectations, though it's still possible often-enough to point at archetypes that buck trends.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

  3. #23
    Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sanctuary In The Sky
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, hence why I said generally. Obviously, not every card will follow the pattern, but the pattern still exists and overall holds back design possibilities, especially when it comes to the female characters. I could run through every card in existence to get a good statistical backing for that, but that's not a good use of my time. Also pointing to Duel Terminals is a bad example since Duel Terminals feature all the weird JRPG cliches the show never goes with, hence why every archtype mixes with each other to form something new and over-designed. People would love if they just made a show about the Duel Terminal world, but they're never going to.

    Also, the "made-up word!" argument is literally pointless since literally every word is made up. God didn't give any of them to us. In this world, we had to develop the grammatical systems ourselves and like in the symbols of what a fairy represents, patterns emerge: -Verse is the suffix used for describing a special universe such as multiverse, Buffyverse, cybernetic universe, etc. Just because someone from a different country made up (Unlike Buffyverse, which the Lord, Adonai, transcribed on the Ten Commandments in big pink letters in Comic Sans font Himself and proclaimed "Behold, my creations, the proper way to describe all works relative to the fictional stories of the prophet Joss Whedon, now and forever!") a portmanteau doesn't mean they just get a free pass for ignoring all the established rules for how words work. Or, in other words:

    kjfweufwefrwejrweufoiwehfiwejrfuwer2nfsjakgfhahdbu asnduasijd iad jiao qioy hqilj rqoi jquiru jqwoi qeo dhqwio wqui rhwelk hqei hal.xmZNBMAJxhjpoa;ldmqd [pkqjwlkd mp ;lhcsduj dfasjh

    Ya' feel me?

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    In what world is using the wrong spelling for what is honestly a made-up word via portmanteau 'good grammar'?

    As for type roles, to be fair, it's not like they haven't shaken things up in the past -- e.g., in Duel Terminal, we've seen 'what makes a demon a demon' suddenly spat out at us as LIGHT-attribute humanoids or little imps wrangling fantastic beasts (in the form of various Beast/beast-alike types) and DARK-attribute insectoid legions rather than anything close to the 'typical' devilish DARK Fiends, invading aliens thrown at us as slimy, slithery, gooey all-LIGHT Reptiles, and a gaggle of mechanical monsters typed as almost everything but Machines until they started having to pinch-hit for a DARK-attribute army of mechanical good guys, as well as (for an aside) burning Dinosaurs.

    And it's not like the role of a type or attribute hasn't managed to be changed or tweaked or outright made to not matter in the past -- e.g., prior to Counter Fairies, we would never have associated Fairy-type and Counter Traps with one another, and who among us would ever associate any of the core mechanics of Cloudians (counter generation/economics, battleproofing, heavy desire to be in Attack Position to the point of self-destruction if elsewise) with either its Type OR Attribute?

    Undeniably, certain aesthetics OR mechanics lend themselves better to certain Types, Attributes, or combinations thereof, but outside of certain Cards One Must Design Around (e.g., Rekindling) most of it doesn't need to be tied-down by type/attribute identities, and so they aren't always . . . even if they aesthetically will be often enough due to players' expectations, though it's still possible often-enough to point at archetypes that buck trends.
    Good explaination, this is pretty much what I wanted to go for, but was too lazy to completely go into. Types sometimes have association with playstyles, but very rarely and it mostly only comes from fire with burn, and psychic with banish, there is no real correlation of effects that tie attributes and types to specific roles and effects. This maybe be true with magic the gathering when colors specialize in certain playstyles, but Yugioh doesn't have playstyles that specifically match up with a type or attribute and are not designed to be as such.
    Last edited by haloichigo1; 9th July 2017 at 07:33 AM.

  5. #25
    Registered User Baroque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haloichigo1 View Post
    Good explaination, this is pretty much what I wanted to go for, but was too lazy to completely go into. Types sometimes have association with playstyles, but very rarely and it mostly only comes from fire with burn, and psychic with banish, there is no real correlation of effects that tie attributes and types to specific roles and effects. This maybe be true with magic the gathering when colors specialize in certain playstyles, but Yugioh doesn't have playstyles that specifically match up with a type or attribute and are not designed to be as such.
    Funny you mention the Psychic w/ Banish bit, as that's a textbook case of type identity taking a swerve like the Counter Fairy bit I mentioned earlier (only in this case, it seems to have stuck); originally, there was a heavy lean towards it working with Life Point payment & gain in a sort of 'accounting.dek', but it was towards the end of 5D's that new ones came out that ran on banishment. It's that kind of capacity to shift the focus of a type, or differ the methods of a theme within a type (e.g., how Shiranui is SUPER big on self-banishment despite being Zombies, or how True Kings/True Dracos are a Wyrm-type theme that, rather than adoring Synchros, thrives on Tribute Summoning and/or Xyz Summoning instead), and in so doing throwing off our expectations, that's honestly a rather nice tool in Konami's kit that they can break out when they want to deliver something special to us.

    I mean, even now, they have a theme in the pipeline that's LIGHT Fiends based on a literary work that's messing around with being able to activate Quick-Play Spells and Trap Cards from your hand in the opponent's turn, a mechanic that's been dabbled around with here and there in the past (perhaps most infamously by Blackwings a long while back). It's great that they're able to throw these sorts of curveballs at us that make us turn our heads and look, even if for a while.

    EDIT: Heck, thinking about it, in spite of earlier entries like Nurse Reficule or Athena, the Trickstar archetype itself is something of a curveball in itself -- the heavy burn focus in chip-damage form is somewhat of a departure from what one might expect of Fairies, healing and all that . . . which makes Bloody Mary here something of a double-subversion, given she's doing healing instead. Another case where Konami can make use of our expectations to surprise us, pleasantly or otherwise!

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    Also, the "made-up word!" argument is literally pointless since literally every word is made up. God didn't give any of them to us. In this world, we had to develop the grammatical systems ourselves and like in the symbols of what a fairy represents, patterns emerge: -Verse is the suffix used for describing a special universe such as multiverse, Buffyverse, cybernetic universe, etc. Just because someone from a different country made up (Unlike Buffyverse, which the Lord, Adonai, transcribed on the Ten Commandments in big pink letters in Comic Sans font Himself and proclaimed "Behold, my creations, the proper way to describe all works relative to the fictional stories of the prophet Joss Whedon, now and forever!") a portmanteau doesn't mean they just get a free pass for ignoring all the established rules for how words work. Or, in other words:
    You seem to be a bit mistaken about the nature of portmanteaus -- a portmanteau does "get a free pass" in this case, given it's a blend of multiple words into a shiny new one. It doesn't care about the matters of prefixes or suffixes, as it's not necessarily being formed of them; for example, let's look at gerrymandering -- 'Gerry' was not a prefix, and the 'mander' of salamander was certainly not a suffix, and yet the word exists now very happily in our lexicon (or unhappily, perhaps, as politics tends to be). In this case, "cyber" and either "verse" or "universe" is being blended together, with "cyb" or "cyber" from the former being paired with "erse" or "se" from the latter two to form a neo new neologism, "Cyberse". Plenty of portmanteaus end up formed this way, from newer ones like drunkorexia or juvenoia to older ones like velcro or Oxbridge.

    I get that you don't particularly enjoy this, but this is how it is, and it's most certainly correct -- Konami's printing comes out over your preferences, and while I can sympathize with this plight on some level . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    kjfweufwefrwejrweufoiwehfiwejrfuwer2nfsjakgfhahdbu asnduasijd iad jiao qioy hqilj rqoi jquiru jqwoi qeo dhqwio wqui rhwelk hqei hal.xmZNBMAJxhjpoa;ldmqd [pkqjwlkd mp ;lhcsduj dfasjh

    Ya' feel me?
    . . . if you don't want to be told you're wrong, you might want to not tell the people who're correct that they're not.
    Last edited by Baroque; 9th July 2017 at 09:44 AM.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

  6. #26
    Registered User Volteccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,334
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post

    . . . if you don't want to be told you're wrong, you might want to not tell the people who're correct that they're not.
    Forget it. This is the hill he has chosen to die on.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

  7. #27
    Registered User ChaosBlace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to topic, I wonder what other card Trickstars will get that would have Grave effects.
    Last edited by ChaosBlace; 9th July 2017 at 06:12 PM.

    "It's not that I fanboy over my waifus, I just keep possession of their souls to my heart's content."

  8. #28
    Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sanctuary In The Sky
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    Funny you mention the Psychic w/ Banish bit, as that's a textbook case of type identity taking a swerve like the Counter Fairy bit I mentioned earlier (only in this case, it seems to have stuck); originally, there was a heavy lean towards it working with Life Point payment & gain in a sort of 'accounting.dek', but it was towards the end of 5D's that new ones came out that ran on banishment. It's that kind of capacity to shift the focus of a type, or differ the methods of a theme within a type (e.g., how Shiranui is SUPER big on self-banishment despite being Zombies, or how True Kings/True Dracos are a Wyrm-type theme that, rather than adoring Synchros, thrives on Tribute Summoning and/or Xyz Summoning instead), and in so doing throwing off our expectations, that's honestly a rather nice tool in Konami's kit that they can break out when they want to deliver something special to us.

    I mean, even now, they have a theme in the pipeline that's LIGHT Fiends based on a literary work that's messing around with being able to activate Quick-Play Spells and Trap Cards from your hand in the opponent's turn, a mechanic that's been dabbled around with here and there in the past (perhaps most infamously by Blackwings a long while back). It's great that they're able to throw these sorts of curveballs at us that make us turn our heads and look, even if for a while.

    EDIT: Heck, thinking about it, in spite of earlier entries like Nurse Reficule or Athena, the Trickstar archetype itself is something of a curveball in itself -- the heavy burn focus in chip-damage form is somewhat of a departure from what one might expect of Fairies, healing and all that . . . which makes Bloody Mary here something of a double-subversion, given she's doing healing instead. Another case where Konami can make use of our expectations to surprise us, pleasantly or otherwise!
    But those are still within the general understanding of what a Psychic is. Suddenly disappearing from our reality to a new one, constantly in a state of flux... that's psychic phenomena in a nutshell. Paying for it with part of your immortal soul is another, but it's all wrapped up in the same package. Why do you think something like Psi-Blocker is a Psychic and not a Beast-Warrior? Why do you think Wattsychic Fighter is Psychic and not Sea Serpent? Spellcasters are the only ones to use... Spell Counters. (Except for a Rock monster that was given life by Spellcasters and thus needs to remove Spell Counters to keep existing, also one weird Gemini Fairy that might as well have been a Spellcaster.) And have far more card based on playing Spells than Aqua monsters do. Who would have guessed? You really think they're going to make a Water Psychic archtype of flip effect monsters that let you change the ATK/DEF of monsters on the field? No, of fucking course not. Out of 161 Flip monsters in the game, 55 are Earth, because Earth = down in the ground and defensive. 41 are Dark because Dark = shadowy, unseen, sneak attacks, etc. 31 are Light, 12 of which are those weirdass Worms, but that's because they're supposed to be some unknown force coming from outside of the known universe. (Uni + Verse = Universe! Incredible!) Of the other 19 Light, most are random old shit, almost none in archtypes. Of the ones that are, notice how the two Lightsworn flip monsters are both low-level, low-stat Beasts. It's almost like Warriors and Beast-Warriors are the L4 beatsticks, the Spellcasters have utility and Angels and Dragons are the big boss monsters. It's almost like Lightsworns are based off of D&D, a game entirely made up of archtype patterns...

    You seem to be confused in thinking that I think a type or attribute only means it can be X, Y or Z. It can be plenty more, but it will always be limited in some ways by the general elements of what it's associated with. It can't be 1, 2 or 3, essentially. Patterns. There are more Dark Fiends that fuck with your opponent's cards in some fiendish than there are for Wind Winged-Beasts, which have by far more bounce and especially self-bounce cards than Earth Warriors. Your examples still fall flat because Counter Fairies actually are super suited to Fairies since, originally as angels, they're there to mete out God's punishment. Hence all the counter traps that show God blocking stuff. You do know what card my name is referring to, right? Voltanis the Adjudicator. Adjudicate, as in, to formally judge. Hence why he's the boss monster of the Counter Fairies. You really think you can step to me about my own fucking deck? Please.

    I've already explained why Trickstars actually fit in the Fairy theme, i.e. the female protagonist type, because instead of being hulking beefsticks like Warriors or Beast-Warriors, (I.e. what GO, the big strong man has, just like how Gongenzaka had the resolute Samurais instead of the fluttering musical angels.) they're weak and tricky and shrewd. Y'know... like a woman! They'll do nice things for you like letting you draw cards but then they'll twist it around so you suffer from it instead! A traditional Japanese company like Konami wouldn't have given such petite and backstabing effects to Water Fish monsters and we all fucking know why. Heck, even the Earth Warrior archtype Amazoness are similar, in that instead of being about raw strength, they use their womanly wiles to turn men's power around, hence why one of their most iconic monsters makes the opponent suffer any battle damage you would have and then combos that with a bunch of cards to keep it from being destroyed. Would they have given Sir Manly Man McTestosterone The 1st such an effect and wimpy strategy? No, of course, not. (Although they would give the reverse, a Warrior that makes your opponent gain life instead of dealing damage, to the homophobic stereotype card.) Again, yes, there are the occasional outlier like Jain being the strongest of the L4 Lightsworn, (Except for the beastly Wulf, anyways....) but overall patterns are still there.

    And referencing the Magibullets doesn't mean much when of course an archtype based on a piece of pre-existing media is going to be a bit outside the box, it has to follow the symbols of the original work rather than their own preconceived notions... and yet, Burning Abyss Fiends activate when sent to the grave, i.e. Hell, their Fairy monster is too pure to exist alongside such wicked demons and is meant to be destroyed to summon a stronger i.e. male boss monster who can exist along with the Malbranche because, like in the book, they actually do go to Hell. It's almost like there are, I dunno', archtypes already in place that can simply reinforce the ones Konami works into the game. Same with the Kozmo, a combination of a book and movie series. The Psychics banish, the Machines duplicate, what a surprise! The oh-so-noble Noble Knights don't use cheap tricks, they acquire armor and allies to brute force their way through, except when they become evil and then start becoming more tricky and less straightforward. And of course the women are literal equipment, low-level monsters to support the knights in shining armor. Yes, sometimes archtypes don't follow standard procedure, like Earth Warrior UA bouncing themselves in a way sort of similar to how sports can work, but again, they're the exception that proves the rule. Most archtypes follow very clear patterns that inform their creation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    You seem to be a bit mistaken about the nature of portmanteaus -- a portmanteau does "get a free pass" in this case, given it's a blend of multiple words into a shiny new one. It doesn't care about the matters of prefixes or suffixes, as it's not necessarily being formed of them; for example, let's look at gerrymandering -- 'Gerry' was not a prefix, and the 'mander' of salamander was certainly not a suffix, and yet the word exists now very happily in our lexicon (or unhappily, perhaps, as politics tends to be). In this case, "cyber" and either "verse" or "universe" is being blended together, with "cyb" or "cyber" from the former being paired with "erse" or "se" from the latter two to form a neo new neologism, "Cyberse". Plenty of portmanteaus end up formed this way, from newer ones like drunkorexia or juvenoia to older ones like velcro or Oxbridge.
    I've already mentioned that while in the past, people just threw words together and went with whatever they formed, we're now in an age where we can actually know how things work halfway around the world and follow their style for best results. People in fucking 1700 had an excuse, most of the population was illiterate. We have no such excuse. And all those portmanteaus you listed are one-off ones that don't have similar ones to follow. But -verse is different. It's really not a portmanteau at all, it's a suffix. You don't mash it into other words, you just drop it at the end to denote some sort of shared universe theory. There is a well-established understanding that already exists that the 40 year old Japanese guys at Konami probably don't know about but probably would change it if they know they were breaking an already-understood rule of English.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    I get that you don't particularly enjoy this, but this is how it is, and it's most certainly correct -- Konami's printing comes out over your preferences, and while I can sympathize with this plight on some level . . .
    Konami's printing certainly didn't come out over my preferences or several others when it came to Ute. In general, anime companies never come out on top when Engrish is involved. It's why we make fun of it. Note that I'm not arguing about ZeXal because that word follows no preconceived notions of what a word is, other than maybe that Z and X are the "cool" English letters. But Cyverse does follow an established rule of English syntax and pretending it's wrong just because "Konami said so" would be as silly as saying that "It's joke" is correct because Love Live says so. If Yusaku shouted "Into A Vrains!", would you defend that as being Konami's choice to have incorrect grammar as well? Also what's with people these days being so eager to defend a company's dumb decisions for no reason other than "it's the company's decision"? Like, I'm pretty sure you're not getting paid for this, I dunno' why you'd feel like Konami has to be right. Are they holding your dog hostage or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    . . . if you don't want to be told you're wrong, you might want to not tell the people who're correct that they're not.
    Damn, that's good advice. You should follow it sometime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    Forget it. This is the hill he has chosen to die on.
    You're hilarious if you think I'm going to die here.
    Last edited by Voltanis The Adjudicator; 9th July 2017 at 05:18 PM.

  9. #29
    Registered User Baroque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, so eager to prove yourself "right" that you start sniping me for text where I'm addressing someone else's point and building off it.

    Burn has until now been a very small niche in Fairy-type, so that the Trickstars subscribed to it so greatly was -- from where I'm sitting -- a rather novel twist on the formula (and even when one considers other angles, I'd hardly associate idol singers with chip damage and I don't recall any previous female leads subscribing so heavily to an aggressive burn deck; one could make a case for Anna Kozuki, perhaps, up to the point where she's merely [sadly] a supporting character), and for Bloody Mary to double back is itself a rather refreshing spin in itself, especially as it's being put to use to further the existing strategies (triggering Lycorissica); makes me wonder what other quirks they'll try to put forward for the archetype if they let Aoi duel more; I hope we get more monsters for the Main Deck, as already we've got fairly strong backrow from both in-house things and teched cards (it's honestly rather impressive how much a Dark Room of Nightmare pushes things forward).

    As for your linguistic adventures, hoo boy lemme see if I remember the spoiler tags . . .

    Spoiler Alert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    I've already mentioned that while in the past, people just threw words together and went with whatever they formed, we're now in an age where we can actually know how things work halfway around the world and follow their style for best results. People in fucking 1700 had an excuse, most of the population was illiterate. We have no such excuse. And all those portmanteaus you listed are one-off ones that don't have similar ones to follow. But -verse is different. It's really not a portmanteau at all, it's a suffix. You don't mash it into other words, you just drop it at the end to denote some sort of shared universe theory. There is a well-established understanding that already exists that the 40 year old Japanese guys at Konami probably don't know about but probably would change it if they know they were breaking an already-understood rule of English.
    "-verse" itself is not a portmanteau, you're right about that, but that's not what's being said -- Cyberse is the portmanteau. And as it is a portmanteau, of "cyber" and either the suffix "-verse" or the word "universe", it doesn't need to use the whole of the sum of its parts -- and, in fact, portmanteaus are notable for not doing so (e.g., 'starfish' is a compound, not a portmanteau, but as an 'infomercial' is an informational commercial, well, hello portmanteau). It's telling that another, more recent term for such a thing is a 'frankenword', y'know? (For extra fun, the word 'frankenword' describes itself; a rather nifty thing, that.)

    The evolution of language, however forced, is all the excuse anyone needs to come up with a portmanteau, and given many of them have stuck (e.g., infomercial, velcro, spork, turducken, edutainment) it's pretty clear that the creation of a portmanteau isn't a linguistic faux pas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    Konami's printing certainly didn't come out over my preferences or several others when it came to Ute. In general, anime companies never come out on top when Engrish is involved. It's why we make fun of it. Note that I'm not arguing about ZeXal because that word follows no preconceived notions of what a word is, other than maybe that Z and X are the "cool" English letters. But Cyverse does follow an established rule of English syntax and pretending it's wrong just because "Konami said so" would be as silly as saying that "It's joke" is correct because Love Live says so. If Yusaku shouted "Into A Vrains!", would you defend that as being Konami's choice to have incorrect grammar as well?
    I've certainly got my share of grievances with localization choices (e.g., I loathe the use of "Steelswarm" over the original "Inverz", and when the Verz archetype came out and they had to make Evilswarm/lswarm I did feel a touch vindicated), but even in these cases they're not exactly wrong -- it can be a bit of a wall-banger (the Yus' renamings in particular do smack of this, as does 'feelin' the flow'), and feel like a bad job, but that doesn't make 'Ute' an incorrect name for the character 'Yuto'. We'll vastly prefer Yuto over Ute, but neither name is incorrect.

    Nevermind that there's a bit of a difference between localization differences (e.g., Genryu vs Wyrm) and what the real issue at hand is, which is a neologism. You might not like the word, but the word is Cyberse, and it's going to remain that no matter how furiously you decry it -- that's how the cards will be printed, the same as how Xyz did not magically become 'Exceed' simply because the latter was a pre-existing word. The portmanteau was coined, and is being put into practice. I won't say your opinion is a wrong one, you're free to dislike "Cyberse" or "Ute" or whatever (again, lord knows some of Konami's localizations irk me as well), to say they're bad localizations, etc. and so forth, but to say that a neologism, a new word, is incorrect/incorrectly-formed and to claim that as fact? That I can claim to be as incorrect in itself. And so I am; it's a portmanteau, formed of two existing words, and it's as 'wrong' a word as velcro, Microsoft, or malvertising.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    Also what's with people these days being so eager to defend a company's dumb decisions for no reason other than "it's the company's decision"? Like, I'm pretty sure you're not getting paid for this, I dunno' why you'd feel like Konami has to be right. Are they holding your dog hostage or something?
    They're not 'holding my dog hostage', they're just the ones that happen to be printing the cards. Nice ad hominem, though.

    That all said, methinks we've derailed things far enough -- if you want to defend your point further for whatever reason, you might want to make a new topic for it.
    Last edited by Baroque; 9th July 2017 at 08:10 PM.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

  10. #30
    Registered User Comun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ancient Forest (aka Manaus, Brasil)
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    There is a well-established understanding that already exists that the 40 year old Japanese guys at Konami probably don't know about but probably would change it if they know they were breaking an already-understood rule of English.
    Actually the Japanese dude only came up with サイバース and the professional translators at the English-speaking country turned it into Cyberse.
    IRL Decks: Pure Artifact, Lyrilusc (work in progress) and futurely Time Thief
    Online: Trap Monster, Trickstar, Eyes Restrict
    Pre-Link Format: DDD, Heraldic Beast, Chronomaly

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •