User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pure vs. Mash-up: which one do you prefer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure vs. Mash-up: which one do you prefer?

So, I've seen lots of decks in the long, long decade or so I've been into the game, and with the advent of Archetype decks like Gladiator Beasts, T.G., Fire Fist, and Nekroz, it seems like the pendulum (heh) of deck construction constantly fluctuates between pure builds and mash-up builds being top. For instance, I play U.A. as one of my myriad decks, and I've seen people play both pure and mash-up versions, with constant flip-flops between which version is better at a certain time; sometimes a pure U.A. deck is good enough, sometimes people say Clownblade engine or some other engine works better for it. We all have our preference, but when it comes to using Teh Bestest Dek, which would you prefer? Do you go with the pure builds, staying true to the theme and the spirit of the deck's archetype, or do you submit to the mash-up and experiment with out of the box engines to make your deck better?

Personally, for me, I go for pure as much as I can; I feel it's a betrayal to mix and match deck themes, to be perfectly honest, unless it's absolutely necessary. For instance, back when I played Baby Raccoons, I was cool with mixing non-Raccoon cards in it, as long as it helped the general beast theme, but got into a huge flame war when I argued against using Quillbolt Hedgehog in it as a Synchro engine. Same with Normal Pendulums; I don't mind mixing in a few cards to make it better, but felt cramming in 8 cards with the Genex Undine engine to get out one Synchro (Trishula) was pointless and a waste of energy and resources - and subsequently got into a big flame war over that, as well. It just... seems like you're going against what the deck is supposed to be, when you do mash-ups with a clearly self-contained archetype.

However, that's just me, and I recognize and acknowledge that there are people who feel otherwise. I'd like to have a civil discussion about this, so please, no flames over differences in opinion. With that said, what's your view on which version of an archetype deck is better, in general?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to play pure when possible, unless the deck was themed around mixing it (Mermails + Atlanteans or Zefra+any of the 5 archtypes included)

It's more fun to play cards that fit thematically with the deck but still work on a competitive scale too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer pure.

I have no actual reasoning for this that isn't "because I don't like mixing archetypes". I just don't.

Even if it will make the deck better. I'm not throwing Machinas into Gimmick Puppets, for example.

Alternately, a non-archetype deck altogether.
    "There are as many truths out there as there are people to tell them. Perhaps it's best simply to choose the truth with which you are most comfortable."
    ~ Knoll, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I say both? Throughout my time I've humorously made quite a lot of mash decks. Anything from a Scrap-Gusto hybrid to Prophecy-Shaddolls. But I always love to see how Konami intends a deck to be played. I actually try out the awful cards in an archetype just to see how Konami actually thought they'd work, as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. You'd be surprised at what you can find; for instance, I know a lot of people drop it from their version, but I love having Daibak in my Yosenju deck. There's just something about the extra 300 ATK upon battling that makes it all worth it, and sometimes I can get its summoning effect off, too.

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedude View Post
    I prefer pure.

I have no actual reasoning for this that isn't "because I don't like mixing archetypes". I just don't.

Even if it will make the deck better. I'm not throwing Machinas into Gimmick Puppets, for example.

Alternately, a non-archetype deck altogether.
    I'm also a pure man. I'm the sort of guy who plays to establish a sense of story, hence why I even bothered to use PSYFrames; I'm always envisioning this guy who's a rebel in the Synchro Dimension, who goes about making fools of Security like Sonic the Hedgehog and Eggman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with a little of both. Thought I do enjoy play Mash-up decks since I think it more fun to use them and see the outcome of the duel. I feel that with a "pure" build, there is already a set plan that you have to follow on how to use them and I don't really like that at times even though it might be the best thing to do with the deck.

Registered User Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a little bit of both.

Currently trying out a Startrix with Clowns in it on YGO Pro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ View Post
    I like a little bit of both.

Currently trying out a Startrix with Clowns in it on YGO Pro.
    Startrix? Is that Star Seraphs with Traptrix?

Registered User Mystic TimeKeeper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the art, I can mash-up if the art of the addition is on the level of what I'm trying to play, but otherwise I stick to pure decks.