User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pure vs. Mash-up: which one do you prefer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually try to build as pure as possible, only using out of theme cards when they are absolutely necessary. But lately I've tried to mix things up, the Buster Blader with Pendulum Magicians deck is one of the most fun and non-linear decks I've built in a long time.

Also, this is not really a discussion, trying to present arguments for either side is a waste of time. Some people play this game to mirror the feeling they got (or get) watching the anime, some people just want to win. Both sides are equally valid.

Current Decks: Galaxy, Utopia, Igknight, U.A.
    Future Decks: Buster Blader & Magicians.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Also, this is not really a discussion, trying to present arguments for either side is a waste of time. Some people play this game to mirror the feeling they got (or get) watching the anime, some people just want to win. Both sides are equally valid.
    We are aware. the Casual VS competitive thing has been around for a while. This has probably been the most civil conversation regarding it I have ever heard of.

Normally the other side has already resorted to "Scrub", "Noob" or some other petty insult for not using (insert winning deck of the time here)
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I usually call the meta side "elitist", despite being slammed as incorrect for doing so (news flash: being an "elite" duelist and being an "elitist" duelist aren't the same thing). I'm glad everyone's being so damn civil with this discussion; it's good to discuss such a topic without having to turn into Asbestos Man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SynjoDeonecros View Post
    And I usually call the meta side "elitist", despite being slammed as incorrect for doing so (news flash: being an "elite" duelist and being an "elitist" duelist aren't the same thing). I'm glad everyone's being so damn civil with this discussion; it's good to discuss such a topic without having to turn into Asbestos Man.
    I call them Tournyfags
    Playing competitively is fine
    Playing casually is fine

saying the other side is wrong for not playing like you do will get you lit up faster than napalm covered in Chlorine Trifluoride

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure, or 'unpure' variants-- I honestly do not have any problems using either.

Deck-building, to me, is an activity that requires both creative, out-of-the-box thinking, and practical thinking.

To put constraints on these things would result in a far less interesting or usable end result. If my vision for the deck would work better in one fashion or another, I just kinda go for it.

A member of a playgroup that got me back into the game dubbed me a 'low tier god'. By this, he was comparing me to the fighting-game players that pick 'weaker' characters, characters lower on the tier list, like Dan in Street Fighter, and through their skill, are able to go toe-to-toe with people playing the more powerful characters.

So, I suppose, I use 'weaker' archetypes and deck ideas, and make them work against higher tier decks. It's just so much more satisfying.

tl;dr I purposefully use underused or underpowered decks and build them with the meta in mind to win against the meta because it feels good, and don't take 'deck purity' into account.

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mind you, I'm a guy of thematics as well. If I have a Pendulum deck, I'll be more than willing to splash Archfiend Eccentrick, Rescue Hamster, or Luster Pendulum in as well. I see them as mercenaries up for hire by other archetypes. Same goes for Rescue Rabbit, Summoner Monk, Armageddon Knight, Maxx "C", Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit, and so on.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post
    Mind you, I'm a guy of thematics as well. If I have a Pendulum deck, I'll be more than willing to splash Archfiend Eccentrick, Rescue Hamster, or Luster Pendulum in as well. I see them as mercenaries up for hire by other archetypes. Same goes for Rescue Rabbit, Summoner Monk, Armageddon Knight, Maxx "C", Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit, and so on.
    Seems we have very similar views on that

Banished
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedude View Post
    This is where we differ, then. My goal is to god-draw into an OTK. Even if it almost never happens, that's my ultimate aim in most Decks, (Stall Burn notwithstanding).
    You are the kind of person that makes me run tripple Menkoto...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post
    Pretty much this.

Current Decks: Galaxy, Utopia, Igknight, U.A.
    Future Decks: Buster Blader & Magicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very good question to ask.

In real life I have two friends who I regularly play yugioh with. 1 likes to mash up different archetypes and see how things work. For example, he is currently trying to build a spirit/toon deck (not sure how that particular one will work out though). The other likes to stick with archetypes and run what you call "pure" decks. Im the one in the middle who does both, as in, try to build pure decks when i can and leave out other cards but if i have to - i will mash different archetypes. It all depends on how much support the archetype in question currently has at that point.

So in summary, i do both, prefer pure but have no problems running or going against mashed.