User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [LVP1] Perpetual King Archfiend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LVP1] Perpetual King Archfiend

Archfiends finally return to their heritage of Dice Rolls and LP Payments. Are you excited?

LVP1-JP001 パーペチュアルキングデーモン Perpetual King Daemon (TCG: Perpetual King Archfiend)
    Link Rating 2 DARK Fiend Link Effect Monster
    ATK 2000
    Links: Bottom Left, Bottom Right
    Materials: 2 Fiend monsters
    During each of your Standby Phases, pay 500 LP or destroy this card. This card’s 1st and 2nd effects can only be used once each during the same Chain.
    (1) If you pay LP: You can send 1 Fiend monster from your Deck to the GY that has ATK or DEF equal to that amount.
    (2) If a Fiend monster(s) is sent to your GY: You can roll a six-sided dice once, and apply the following effects to 1 of them depending on the result.
    • 1: Add it to your hand.
    • 2~5: Return it to the Deck.
    • 6: Special Summon it.

Source: https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_OCG_INFO/...25734968844289

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome! As a rule, I love any link generic enough to be splashed into multiple, old decks. (Mostly because before this pack they were few and far between).
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only it says "If you lose LP:", instead of how it is now, then this card would have been actually good.

"It's not that I fanboy over my waifus, I just keep possession of their souls to my heart's content."

Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even without the paying LP to mill part, this card is nuts since its 2nd effect is once per chain and not once per turn. With this and that trap that lets you make all rolls 1 or 6, you can easily make some crazy loops with this and Firewall Dragon.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. A return to the original Archfiend theme. But somehow still cannot bring itself to support "Archfiend" archetype directly.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionStorm View Post
    Cool. A return to the original Archfiend theme. But somehow still cannot bring itself to support "Archfiend" archetype directly.
    Yeah, that is a little odd.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gets along with Psychic Blade.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosBlace View Post
    If only it says "If you lose LP:", instead of how it is now, then this card would have been actually good.
    Yeah, this was just so close to being the D/D/D Link Monster.

Anyways, as it now, it's summonable in any Deck with a Tour Guide, Phantom Skyblaster or Fires of Doomsday, but hard to make good use in most of them and it sucks to have your dumped monster returned to the deck.

Overall the only thing I like about it is the name. I thought we couldn't get more Chess Archfiends because the names of all pieces were already used, but then when got this card name after a chess move/situation (perpetual check). Perpetual check is when a player can put the opponent's king in a check every turn but can't finish off the checkmate, so both players have to repeat the same moves every turn until they realize they are in a Perpetual Check and call the game a tie. I think the effect of returning cards to deck is a reference to that part of keeping repeating the same moves.

All that said, I think this card might actually be useful depending on the answer to a ruling question I have. If I dump a Burning Abyss and activate both it and Perpetual's effect, if the card is returned to the Deck, will the Burning Abyss's effect still activate?
    IRL Decks: Pure Artifact, Lyrilusc (work in progress) and futurely Time Thief
    Online: Trap Monster, Trickstar, Eyes Restrict
    Pre-Link Format: DDD, Heraldic Beast, Chronomaly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Yeah, this was just so close to being the D/D/D Link Monster.

Anyways, as it now, it's summonable in any Deck with a Tour Guide, Phantom Skyblaster or Fires of Doomsday, but hard to make good use in most of them and it sucks to have your dumped monster returned to the deck.

Overall the only thing I like about it is the name. I thought we couldn't get more Chess Archfiends because the names of all pieces were already used, but then when got this card name after a chess move/situation (perpetual check). Perpetual check is when a player can put the opponent's king in a check every turn but can't finish off the checkmate, so both players have to repeat the same moves every turn until they realize they are in a Perpetual Check and call the game a tie. I think the effect of returning cards to deck is a reference to that part of keeping repeating the same moves.

All that said, I think this card might actually be useful depending on the answer to a ruling question I have. If I dump a Burning Abyss and activate both it and Perpetual's effect, if the card is returned to the Deck, will the Burning Abyss's effect still activate?
    The burning abyss monster should still get the effect since it was still sent to the grave, it being returned to the deck wouldn't override that it was sent to the grave in the first place, thus triggering any effect it might have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly there is NOT A SINGLE Fiend monster with 500 ATK or DEF which has an effect in the GY. So You'll mostly go straight to the second effect right away, which means it can be a 33%+ 66%- card effectwise, which is actually terrible. The only reason why people run this is because it enables Extra Deck focused pre-Link decks.

The only exclusion would be Archfiends and Steelswarms (and Puppet Master), where you can use

Imprisoned Queen Archfiend and any Steelswarm*: (1000 LP)
    - Infernity Bishop
    - BA Farfa
    - BA Graff
    - BA Barbar
    - Tour Bus from the Underworld
    - Archfiend Heiress

Shadowknight Archfiend: (900 LP)
    - Fiendish Rhino Warrior
    - BA Draghig

Terrorking Archfiend: (800 LP)
    - BA Scarm
    - Doomdog Octhros
    - Edge Imp Sabres
    - Damage Eater
    - Necro Defender

So overall it's just a lackluster effect, but it's a nice attempt and the monster will find it's use in other ways.

*You can pay half your LP with Steelswarm Hercules, but he destroys Perpetual King Archfiend
    Last edited by yshipster; 25th October 2017 at 07:44 PM.

You'll never be "Kurosaki Shun riding a backflipping Revolution Falcon then jumping on a driving motorcycle"-cool.