Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [VRAINS] [SPOILER] General discussion thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[VRAINS] [SPOILER] General discussion thread

Hello fellow people,

I made this thread as a main discussion platform for Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS. You can post here any news, ideas, questions, theories and anything else, as long as you are nice to each other .

Please take notice that Spoilers are allowed, so don't say you haven't been warned!
    Last edited by yshipster; 9th November 2017 at 07:34 PM.

You'll never be "Kurosaki Shun riding a backflipping Revolution Falcon then jumping on a driving motorcycle"-cool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how is everyone liking the series so far? I think we could stand for a few more one-episode duels for more minor foes, like Genome, since I filly expect him to not do much more dueling. He feels like more of a behind the scenes guy.
    Current deck: Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    So, how is everyone liking the series so far? I think we could stand for a few more one-episode duels for more minor foes, like Genome, since I filly expect him to not do much more dueling. He feels like more of a behind the scenes guy.
    The way Genome said that Go will regret defeating him I'm actually sure that we'll see him again in the future.

I think VRAINS is actually good so far, I guess it is one of the best stories without a tournament so far (exspecially compared to the desaster Arc-V became after there wasn't a tournament anymore). Although I still think that the soundtrack feels more generic than Arc-V's, which actually amplified the tone of the most scenes (but I'm always more focused on the soundtrack than other people, so I guess it bothers me more than others). I like Yusaku and the fact that we got some interesting and strong female characters, but right now we actually lack some actual rivals/enemies/antagonists, since Revolver not only hasn't any character, but also wasn't even more than a "bad guy of the week" to Yusaku. Right now I even feel Faust has more character than him.

But I'm looking forward into the series, as the duels seem to be pretty good so far, and they didn't fuck up anything either. Even the annoying guy from Yusaku's school is actually ok.

You'll never be "Kurosaki Shun riding a backflipping Revolution Falcon then jumping on a driving motorcycle"-cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll share my thoughts so far about VRAINS later when I've the time to collect them, but I will say I disagree extensively with the idea that Arc-V was "a disaster" in any way. (I've really grown weary of seeing that, especially from more trolling-oriented individuals who just like to complain about everything.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arc-V's third season was less of a "disaster" and more of a truncation problem. It had the clear feeling that when the writers mapped out the season they had expected more episodes to tell the story than they ended up getting and got the notice after production had already begun.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'll share my thoughts so far about VRAINS later when I've the time to collect them, but I will say I disagree extensively with the idea that Arc-V was "a disaster" in any way. (I've really grown weary of seeing that, especially from more trolling-oriented individuals who just like to complain about everything.)
    As have I.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no one comments about latest episodes. VRAINS is going well. Interesting when Yusaku starts to suspect about Ai after beating Faust, and it looks like it's coming to season 1 end with Hanoi tower. And Specter starts to move on, killing Kitamura and now dueling Aoi. Sad for Ghost Girl's death against Revolver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Shimy View Post
    So no one comments about latest episodes. VRAINS is going well. Interesting when Yusaku starts to suspect about Ai after beating Faust, and it looks like it's coming to season 1 end with Hanoi tower. And Specter starts to move on, killing Kitamura and now dueling Aoi. Sad for Ghost Girl's death against Revolver.
    They aren't death until the Tower of Hanoi is actually finished. I mean, as if anyone in Yu-Gi-Oh would actually die...

On another note, I'm quite impressed that Vrains seems to keep up with an actual fast-paced story and without a tournament as a plot device. Also they didn't wait 2,5 seasons until they finally start revealing the main characters mystery, like Arc-V did. Even the characters are somewhat likeable, although Yamamoto + Camerabird and Ai become somewhat annoying. I just wished the higher Hanoi members would have gotten a deeper character and better decks than they got.
    Last edited by yshipster; 21st December 2017 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've my ups and downs about VRAINS. Coming from Arc-V, I'm not fond of how isolated everyone is from each other, especially with Yusaku, who I feel has gotten too much focus and screen time this early on (lead protagonist or not). I'd like it if the latter would hang with kids his own age, as opposed to Kusanagi, who I feel enables him too much. Even when Arc-V had some characters isolated from others for various reasons, it played it off better and always kept those characters' company; it made it fun, whereas VRAINS kind of makes it tedious if not outright boring-to-irksome.

On another note, the overall lack of Duels this shows has had makes me sad, as does the sheer excess of NDCs or "Non-Duel Characters". That Yusaku was the only one Dueling for the longest time, beating out early Zexal's Yuma (even with the first time someone not named Yusaku was Dueling, he was still Dueling in that episode, and it wasn't until Go Dueled Genome when we finally got a Duel episode that didn't feature Yusaku Dueling in it, 23 episodes in) is really surprising. Couple that with all the non-Duel episodes and the flashback episodes this early on... (Arc-V's non-Duel episodes tended to be more fun or enjoyable, or at least were levied better in their placements.)

That said, I generally enjoy Yusaku when he Duels, even though not so much when he's not, and I've been loving the string of episodes starting with the aforementioned Go versus Genome that have been much more balanced in having Yusaku weave in and out of the backseat and the driver's seat. Go and Blue Angel are immense pleasures to watch when their on-screen, and as I've made mention, I'm quite smitten with Go and his Goukis (never thought I'd be interested in Wrestling, even on a tangent, but here it is).

Last but not least, my favorite episode thus far has to be the one where Naoki finally got some screen time and focus. Kid is an underrated character, and he's certainly been criminally underused. He'd only show up to get his kindness and friendliness towards Yusaku turned around in his face and belittled, making Yusaku an unlikable jerk in the process (which is why I appreciated Naoki sorta blowing up in Yusaku's face in the beginning, for all the good that functionally did, at least), and/or to give him an unsolicited (and also unrewarded) hint about what's going on with the latest goings-on that Naoki knows about that Yusaku wouldn't (a number of Yusaku's leads have come from Naoki this way, but the latter never got created, only more derision).

His focus episode was a thing of beauty, and it was definitely a long time coming. I loved everything about it, from how it took what we already gleamed from him and from his past interactions and fleshed it out to make him an awesome in-universe person who's constantly dismissed and underestimated (including by himself). Even his swagger and bravado against the Knight was on point, because it was counterbalanced by us being shown what he really thought about the situation he was in. Who knew bricking could be so much fun? And an underdog character winning never felt so good! Of particular note is that Naoki kept encouraging himself throughout that episode. Even though he would daydream that Playmaker gave him Cyberse Wizard and the "You can do it!" pep talk, the truth of it is, Naoki was pushing himself, meaning that his strength came from within. An interesting way to play it that's a bit different from the norm, and it showed that Noaki is tougher than he looks.

Plus, his Lonely Brave/Max Brave VRAINS avatar is soooo cool! It looks Megaman/Mighty No. 9/Azure Striker GUNVOLT influenced. Once again, that it took this long to see it is crying shame, but even more so is how long until we see it again.

Depending on how you interpret his bit role in the most recent episode (after having disappeared again after his focus episode...), it seems the writers have functionally written him out of this arc before it even started (less screentime is the last thng the character needs), and possibly even longer depending on how "next generation" is meant to be taken, which I'm not a fan of, prospects-wise.

...So yes. My feeling for VRAINS are mixed, especially after coming off of Arc-V, which I loved to bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brutality against the waifu... I like it.