User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: [VRAINS] [SPOILER] General discussion thread

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    After you mentioned that, if I'm not mistaken, that's where the card originally came from. Green Baboon was a Manga Card, like Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness.

There are a lot of Manga cards that I don't realize or remember were Manga cards.
    Yes, but I've previously novelized R and done summaries for it on Yugipedia. I am subsequently ashamed.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    Yes, but I've previously novelized R and done summaries for it on Yugipedia. I am subsequently ashamed.
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
    Yes I should, but I appreciate the sentiment.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! I, and this show in general, really needed this break from the usual. And I mean really needed it.

It was short, but sweet, and as full of interaction and chemistry as I had hoped. It wasn't as focused on Naoki or the contents of the Duel as I would have liked, but it was still good, and once again I must emphasize, a much needed breather.

Bookended by the SOL folks and the "good guys" discussing their failure in the beginning and said guys falling into a trap by the folks in the end (talk about mood whiplash...), the Duel is introed on a hunch by Blue Girl that she is later teased on for being wrong later.

Naoki was breautiful here! Simply so! So was Ghost Girl, and her "trying not to groan and snap" reactions to Naoki's "cool-n'-tough guy" routine. To the latter's credit, Brave really did come of as genuine in spite of everything (he even stuck the lander after he lost!), and to the former's, aside from showing some personal frustrations on her face a few times that remained unvoiced aloud to her opponent, Ghost Girl managed to go the whole Duel without breaking the "innocuous adversary" thing from, technically parting on amiable terms after her win.

I'll need to rewatch this to see and savor everything, but I can't state enough how much I love following Naoki's character! And I especially love watching his Duels, as he makes them feel so lively regardless of length or context, or because of context, even. I like how it looked like he "bricked" again but he played out of it himself and didn't let it affect him this time (lovely Scrap Kong cameos, by the way). That new Baboon was all kinds of cool (and so I want it!!!)! We got Multifaker and Hextia from Ghost Girl (but no Pixiel ). Lastly, despite losing and shedding manly tears, he took the loss in stride and with grace. Blue Angel's concert thing or whatever that was probably helped, too. (All things considered, I'm glad they left Brave/Naoki on a happy note. At least someone gets to be happy and feel good and secure about themselves in this show.)

Though this episode wasn't as centric on his character as I would have preferred, he slipped into the role of "viewpoint" nicely and played his part superbly from start to finish. Kudos to Ghost Girl who did likewise. Anyway, this episode kind of cemented my desire for more of Naoki/Brave in general, even though the show's structure can't really accomdate more than these occasional asides (or more likely, refuses to; they easily could if they wanted to, but they don't). Hope for another one where he gets to Duel Yusaku/Playmaker, though.

In the end, I enjoyed this episode. Alas, as I mentioned before, it's back to "business as usual" and it appears to be sticking that way for the foreseeable batch of episodes. Oh well. The levity and underscored awesome was good while it lasted.

And real life Soulburner took martial arts and hung out with some stereotypical toughs not long ago. Go figure.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 1 Day Ago at 10:30 AM.