User Tag List

Thread: [SD33] Storm Cipher and Reprints

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[SD33] Storm Cipher and Reprints

A remaining card from the Deck is revealed, along with multiple reprints. All from the commercial.

Reprints

Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare
    Goblindbergh
    Safe Zone
    One for One
    Call of the Haunted
    Night Beam

ストームサイファー Storm Cipher
    Level 4 DARK Cyberse Effect Monster
    ATK 2400
    DEF 0
    (1) This card cannot attack directly, and cannot attack monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.
    (2) This card is unaffected by the activated effects of monsters in the Extra Monster Zone, and it cannot be destroyed by battle with monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.

Reprints:

Blazing Mirror Force
    Scapegoat

https://ygorganization.com/sd33-storm-cipher-reprints/

Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2400 ATK LEVEL 4 WITH NO SERIOUS DRAWBACKS!? Are they crazy!? I mean, it won't affect the meta ever, but it just feels so... wrong.
    Always nice to see a Dark monster with 0 DEF, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    2400 ATK LEVEL 4 WITH NO SERIOUS DRAWBACKS!? Are they crazy!? I mean, it won't affect the meta ever, but it just feels so... wrong.
    Always nice to see a Dark monster with 0 DEF, though.
    It's not that crazy, and it also isn't that wrong. We already had a 2400 ATK Level 4 from 2005, "Chainsaw Insect", which doesn't have serious drawbacks, as it can attack directly and your opponent drawing 1 card won't matter if you can deal heavy damage or get over an Extra Deck monster with it. Seeing that that insect hasn't been relevant in the least, it was just a matter of time that another of the same class came into the game, and this one is honestly more restricted in power.

We also have another out-of-the-norm monster for the DEF part, Destiny Hero Defender from 2006, which is Level 4 and has 2700 DEF with no serious drawbacks, which can even be avoided really easily.

This isn't any novelty, and Konami takes care to balance these monsters out so they don't have any relevant benefit apart from their high ATK. If it was 2500+ original ATK, it would start to be somewhat worrying, though.
    Last edited by Yugi.feder03; 29th November 2017 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not to sure about cipher. I mean it has high attack and protection from extra monster zone monsters, butI am not too sure about adding it to my pure cyberse since it doesn't show as much potential as the new main deck monsters in this deck.

Though it is funny that it is a cipher monster, I wonder if I van make a cipher deck with it and since it is dark I can tech bls

Registered User Voltanis The Adjudicator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugi.feder03 View Post
    It's not that crazy, and it also isn't that wrong. We already had a 2400 ATK Level 4 from 2005, "Chainsaw Insect", which doesn't have serious drawbacks, as it can attack directly and your opponent drawing 1 card won't matter if you can deal heavy damage or get over an Extra Deck monster with it. Seeing that that insect hasn't been relevant in the least, it was just a matter of time that another of the same class came into the game, and this one is honestly more restricted in power.

We also have another out-of-the-norm monster for the DEF part, Destiny Hero Defender from 2006, which is Level 4 and has 2700 DEF with no serious drawbacks, which can even be avoided really easily.

This isn't any novelty, and Konami takes care to balance these monsters out so they don't have any relevant benefit apart from their high ATK. If it was 2500+ original ATK, it would start to be somewhat worrying, though.
    >Chainsaw Insect doesn't have serious drawbacks.
    >Your opponent drawing 1 card won't matter if you can deal heavy damage or get over an Extra Deck monster with it.
    >Destiny Hero Defender with no serious drawbacks.
    >Also lets your opponent draw cards.
    >Drawing cards and card advantage has literally been the most important part of the game since its inception.
    >Beatdown decks aren't even a thing anymore.
    >Card advantage is all that matters.
    >Attacking over Extra Deck monsters hardly matters when either they float, are Xyz monsters that have already served their purpose, or both.

What parallel universe are you typing this from? A monster that lets your opponent draw cards for nothing more than better-than-average stats might as well say "lose the game" if it didn't have 8000 ATK. I seriously don't understand where you're coming from with this at all. Not being able to attack at certain times isn't a drawback, it's simply a lack of a positive. Letting your opponent draw cards is an actual drawback (heh) because it's an actual, tangible negative to you/positive for your opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltanis The Adjudicator View Post
    What parallel universe are you typing this from? A monster that lets your opponent draw cards for nothing more than better-than-average stats might as well say "lose the game" if it didn't have 8000 ATK. I seriously don't understand where you're coming from with this at all. Not being able to attack at certain times isn't a drawback, it's simply a lack of a positive. Letting your opponent draw cards is an actual drawback (heh) because it's an actual, tangible negative to you/positive for your opponent.
    Firstly, I consider that everything that limits the potential of a card or benefits the opponent (and cannot be avoided easily) is a drawback. From that point of view, both cards have drawbacks. I made that point mainly because of your complaining about it having higher-than-average ATK for its Level. If you play Chainsaw Insect wisely, your opponent will only draw 1 card at most, because you will get rid of it before your opponent can attack it and draw a second card. And if it destroys a monster, they won't benefit that much from that drawn card, and if it allows you to inflict fatal damage, they won't even have the chance to benefit from it. If you play Destiny Hero Defender and you aren't a dumb player, your opponent won't draw a single card off it, because you will get rid of it before it is their Standby Phase. You must be a bad player or have a bad deck if you allow your opponent to benefit from Defender's drawback.

Drawing cards has always been important, but drawing a single card isn't the most important thing in the game, especially in the last years where most decks can search directly from the Deck almost everything they need to win.

Beatdown decks are still a thing, in fact most meta decks are beatdown decks, combined with other tactics. Their main goal is to OTK the opponent with as many high-ATK monsters as possible. Duels have never been determined only by the stats of the monsters, but that has always been a relevant thing in the game, and it still is.

"Card advantage is all that matters". I have to say nope on this. Card advantage has always been important, but especially in the recent years, card momentum has become the most important thing in the game. It does not matter if you have 15 cards in your hand and field if your opponent can stop you, make a comeback and defeat you with only 4 cards that are played at the right time. If I can make a review of the most important things in the game through its history, I'd say that in the first times of the game the most important thing was how you play your cards. Then, more or less since the advent of Synchros, when you play your cards also becomes one of the most important things, because chains and effect/summon negators become more relevant. And since this year, we can add that where you play your cards also becomes one of the most important things.

Losing an Extra Deck monster generally means the loss of at least 3 cards: at least 2 materials and the monster itself. Drawing 1 card will hardly compensate for that, if we are talking about card advantage, because their (floating) effects don't necessarily have to aid in card advantage, and most Extra Deck monsters in existence don't float.

I played Chainsaw Insect a lot of times and it aid me in winning games far more than it made me lose. In fact, I never lost just because of the insect. When I lost while playing it, it was because my opponent had an overall better deck. Anyway, I don't want to argue with you, I'm just trying to explain why I think you exaggerated with your complaint about this card. I can understand and respect your point of view, but I can't agree with it.
    Last edited by Yugi.feder03; 30th November 2017 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they change the translation? Because from what it says here, attacking over an extra deck monster is literally the one thing Storm Cipher cannot ever do.
    But if it was changed so that it can only attack monsters in the main zone, it doesn't matter. Do you know what you can normal summon for free and attack over most extra deck monsters with? Re:EX. A card which has failed to see any play whatsoever. Which does not bode well for Storm Cipher, especially in a cyberse deck where you'd rather use your normal summon on a thing to extend your link plays.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Registered User Brightshine Stardust's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the translation is changed.

Just for comparison:

Old:

(1) This card cannot attack directly, and cannot attack monsters, except monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.
    (2) This card is unaffected by the activated effects of monsters in the Extra Monster Zone, but it cannot destroy monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.
    New:

(1) This card cannot attack directly, and cannot attack monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.
    (2) This card is unaffected by the activated effects of monsters in the Extra Monster Zone, and it cannot be destroyed by battle with monsters your opponent controls in an Extra Monster Zone.

The translation for the (1) effect originally locks it into attacking EMZ monsters, but the newer translation makes it unable to attack EMZ monsters. Which actually means it has more attack targets now.

The translation for the (2) effect originally protects the opponent's monster from destruction by battle (BUT YOU STILL TAKE THE DAMAGE), but the newer translation protects Cipher instead.
    Last edited by Brightshine Stardust; 30th November 2017 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, looking at the new version, it looks like it might be more of a defensive measure, either your opponent overpowers it with a main monster, they waste a removal card on it, or it's stuck there.
    Still seems slow and not very good.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    So, looking at the new version, it looks like it might be more of a defensive measure, either your opponent overpowers it with a main monster, they waste a removal card on it, or it's stuck there.
    Still seems slow and not very good.
    I mean you could sidedeck it if you play a deck without much relevant Extra Deck in case your opponent plays a deck without strong Main Deck monsters, but that's about it. And yeah, even for this it isn't really optimal because you basically just (could) stall some time by wasting a Normal Summon.

You'll never be "Kurosaki Shun riding a backflipping Revolution Falcon then jumping on a driving motorcycle"-cool.