User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Characters with wasted potential

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Never die View Post
    Not only they promoted her too much for no real reason.Putting her everywhere and i mean everywhere for no reason,when yuma joined the tournament she was there and there and there and what the fuck was the reason for being there in the final duels?When Cathy and the class president stayed behind because they would be of no help to begin with.As i mentioned putting her everywhere and this an example of too much promotion of her for some reason she has to hide her skirt but Rio is fine.

Its saying something when the Astral World is LITERALLY THE ONLY FUCKING PLACE SHE DIDN'T SOMEHOW FOLLOW HIM ON
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Never die View Post
    Not only they promoted her too much for no real reason.Putting her everywhere and i mean everywhere for no reason,when yuma joined the tournament she was there and there and there and what the fuck was the reason for being there in the final duels?When Cathy and the class president stayed behind because they would be of no help to begin with.As i mentioned putting her everywhere and this an example of too much promotion of her for some reason she has to hide her skirt but Rio is fine.
    Kotori being in the roller coaster was... I will be sincere, I don't dislike Kotori as much as you guys (yeah, just hate me), but she could have had a way better role. She could have had an actual role, instead of just being there. She was more useless than Téa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire sidekick squad in ZEXAL. None of them played an actual deck and hardly ever dueled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Kaiser View Post
    Go to Episode 1 and you can say that about any real character

As mentioned, they could have had the obligatory romance subplot go somewhere....actually lets just make this easier

Characters develop by interacting with other characters. the full extent of her interactions was as follows

Now I like Reaction shots, especially to awesome or horrifying shit, but thats something you have a faceless audience do or something, it should never be a characters primary contribution
    by simply NOT doing that, development would be possible, but here is a scenario I can think of off the top of my head

At the beginning, Kotori was not a duelist. the point of her was to ask questions so the Newbie audience would get an explanation on how Tribute or Xyz summoning works. that and she liked Yuma, no shit.

then Cathy comes in (another glorious example of wasted potential). She also likes him and unlike her, she is actually useful, both as a duelist and as a plot ticket for fancy stuff (she was rich apparently). much Like Sherry did for Aki and Turbo Duels, She could have given Kotori the push to become a duelist, thus actually contribute something and maybe even get her own Number or something and then served as a Rival for her own subplot, like Masumi did for Yuzu.

Its a tiny example, but it would have been character development, and more importantly she'd have done something other then

continuing the result of this (her becoming a duelist and being competant) could have gone in quite a few directions. Given Yuma was a complete ....saying beginner is to nice and I want to scream RETARD right here, but lets try to stay objective and fair....

FUCKING RETARD (Nope, couldn't do it)
    she could have been progressing WITH (albiet somewhat behind) him or gone off on her own with it, then the usual "I'm not good enough" shit when the Barians rolled in, leading to further upgrades. again, better then fucking

And everything I said was basically the standard Shonen Plot track for the Side-kick characters

Get inspired by action to join action
    Join action, help hero
    get stronger with Hero
    Ah, okay, fair point. I was more hung up on how she started off useful for nothing more than being the obligatory love interest, but if Zexal actually bothered with character development for most of their characters, then that would make her at least acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arc-V is still ongoing, but my vote goes to Mieru. Of course, that's just as well that I know why she won't be a major character. (fun fact; the seiyuu did one of the openings for ZeXal, and is thus pretty expensive to do voiceover work)

The side crew in DM needed more love, I suppose. GX was satisfying for me. So was 5D's. Was never a fan of ZeXal, it started too slow and really didn't have a satisfying ending. The middle didn't really make up for it to me, but you're fine to love it.

EDIT: Laughing at the Kotori stuff. She is at least not a big-boobed character serving little purpose like the last 3 YGO series.
    Last edited by Thanako; 3rd December 2015 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    Arc-V is still ongoing, but my vote goes to Mieru. Of course, that's just as well that I know why she won't be a major character. (fun fact; the seiyuu did one of the openings for ZeXal, and is thus pretty expensive to do voiceover work)

The side crew in DM needed more love, I suppose. GX was satisfying for me. So was 5D's. Was never a fan of ZeXal, it started too slow and really didn't have a satisfying ending. The middle didn't really make up for it to me, but you're fine to love it.

EDIT: Laughing at the Kotori stuff. She is at least not a big-boobed character serving little purpose like the last 3 YGO series.
    they could have atleast put her chest in the Every-episode reaction shot to make it SOMEWHAT easier to look at....

No just a close-up of her face on a technicolor background....I guess even teh animators got sick of doing that shot so often
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Kaiser View Post

No just a close-up of her face on a technicolor background....I guess even teh animators got sick of doing that shot so often
    I'm surprised it wasn't stock footage, with her yelling on the sound effects board.

Registered User Brightshine Stardust's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    The thing that made her expensive wasn't the opening though, it was her previous role.

But yeah, Mieru is a wasted character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Fudo.
    Jack Atlas (Season 2). (His character development from Season 1 was AMAZING. How dare you tarnish it!)
    Luca/Lua (Season 2) + Duel Academia students. (Dammit. You wasted our time with filler episodes for a side-story that you decided to skip!)
    Aki (Season 2). (She lost an entire arc of character development based on the Arcadia Movement because of issues with cults at the time. Also, Iliaster was re-written into time travelers from the future because cult issues.)
    Carly (Season 2). (Her voice actor was involved with one of the cults, so ... character was reduced. Still doesn't mean they didn't waste Carly's character.)
    Kiryu (Season 2). (What?)
    Demak (Season 2). (Who?)
    Misty (Season 2). (Where?)
    Bomber (Season 2). (Meh.)
    Iliaster guy who contacted Rutger.
    Ushio (Season 2).

Team Unicorn.
    Team Ragnarok.
    Paradox. (WHY DIDN'T Z-ONE RE-BUILD YOU, BUT REBUILD APORIA TWICE?)
    Sherry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5D's:
    One character that comes to mind is Aki Izayoi. She was such an important character to the 5D's plot, and was the first strong, independent female protagonist in the YGO series. Then as the series progressed, Akiza's importance to the series diminished greatly. Towards the end of the series, she may as well have been a side character.

DM:
    Another one I can think of is Ishizu Ishtar. She played a relatively important role in the first series. She was exceptionally skilled as a duelist, independent, strong, determined, and had unwavering loyalty toward her convictions; many traits other female characters lacked. It was a shame that she did not become part of the main cast.

GX:
    I honestly believe Ed Phoenix could have played a larger role in the series. Yes, his backstory was rather important to the second season's plot, but he never seemed as if he was a main character. Instead, he served more of a plot device, at least that is how I see it.

Another for the GX series would be Fubuki Tenjoin (Atticus Rhodes). He first debuted as an antagonist, and was later demoted to a side character. I believe he had much more potential to be part of the main cast than a side character because, while using his Red-Eyes deck, he was more serious and a formidable opponent. In the end, Fubuki served as a side character after his defeat, and was later reused as a plot device.

ARC-V:
    In the case of ARC-V, even if it is ongoing, I hate what they are doing to Yuzu and her character. She first started out as a main character and slowly devolved into a plot device all while maintaining her status as the former. By that, I mean she was strong and independent as a female lead. But as the series progressed, she has become the hackneyed "damsel-in-distress" plot device that is seen in most "shounen" anime. Hopefully, her status of "main character" is redeemed by the end of the Synchro Dimension Arc. If not, all hope for her is lost.

ZEXAL:
    As far as I am concerned, there are not any female characters in ZEXAL that had any potential. None of them are worth salvaging.

Notice there are mostly female characters?
    Last edited by Yuuri; 9th December 2015 at 01:11 AM.
    Currently using: Predator Plant, Pendulum Magician, Zarc Magician, Red-Eyes Interested in: Magibullet, Altergiest, Vullet(?)