User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [OCG] Structure Deck: Soulburner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDD View Post
    I wish they'd stop making anime-related structure decks based on the current airing show. Seriously, they already have LOT of coverage in main AND side sets (Link Vrains Box, for example).
    As a person who doesn't play any of the Vrains archetypes (Playmaker's Cyberse, Gouki, Trickstar, Rokket, Salamangreat), I really feel put aside. Konami's too much focused with Vrains (and link) stuff and doesn't give a fuck about other types of decks.
    Oh yeah, of course it does, I just wish they didn't do it. Wishful thinking, I know.

Btw, were there really that much of Arc-V based products? If so, they were less... I don't know, less oppressive than Vrains ones. Maybe it's just because they didn't straightforwardly replace other stuff. Structure decks were a lot more varied (I think only three of them were anime characters-related, 2 Pend Magician and 1 DDD), and while there were powerful pendulum archetypes that dominated the meta back then (Qli, ), there were also non-pendulum decks (Shaddoll, Tellar, Nekroz, Monarch, Kozmo, ABC, PaleoFrogs, Zoo). Vrains feels much more stale in terms of product releases and metagame (and non-meta, since almost all decks are forced to run links and they are almost always the same).
    Is it just my impression?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotonLegion View Post
    Technically speaking, no. The previous power-up packs, from the Starter Decks that gave us "Limited Barian's Force" and "OED", had one or two new cards in them. I just tend to take the "Assume the worst and things can only get better approach".
    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    Yeah, but as I recall, the last couple of times they did them, there was one predetermined card, and then a random selection of a small group of cards. I'm only counting the one guaranteed card as part of it.
    Oh yeah, of course it does, I just wish they didn't do it. Wishful thinking, I know.

Btw, were there really that much of Arc-V based products? If so, they were less... I don't know, less oppressive than Vrains ones. Maybe it's just because they didn't straightforwardly replace other stuff. Structure decks were a lot more varied (I think only three of them were anime characters-related, 2 Pend Magician and 1 DDD), and while there were powerful pendulum archetypes that dominated the meta back then (Qli, ), there were also non-pendulum decks (Shaddoll, Tellar, Nekroz, Monarch, Kozmo, ABC, PaleoFrogs, Zoo). Vrains feels much more stale in terms of product releases and metagame (and non-meta, since almost all decks are forced to run links and they are almost always the same).
    Is it just my impression?
    It's likely due to your perspective. As you said, you're not really for any of the current VRAINS Anime Decks, so any focus on them will seem like too much focus (there's a word or phrase that describes that feeling; it might be "confirmation bias" but I'm not 100%, but there is a word/phrase for it).

Arc-V era Structures (so not counting annual Starter Decks) that weren't Rs (Arc-V era is where Rs first began) included 2 Yuyas, 1 Declan, and a Yugi and a Kaiba (introduced Magnet Warriors and ABC). I don't recall any non-Rs that weren't at least tangentially related to an Anime character during that era. Furthermore, this era introduced the Booster Pack Specials (which are now known as Deck Build Packs). The first Booster Pack Special released the first wave of D/D support, along with reprinting Gem-Knights, Constellars, and X-Sabers (each with one new card apiece). The 2nd one gave us Yosenju, which were used in the Anime, and Necroz and Ritual Beasts. For the next few years, it became a twice-a-year outlet for Arc-V related Anime releases and debuts. Often, there'd be one focus of a new Deck (Phantom Knights, Speedroids, Predaplants) along with another character who's getting reprints and a refresher (the Jack support, Shay support, and Sora support), rounded off by non-Anime Deck (PSY-Frames, Super Quantals, Invoked). These Booster SPs often featured the Arc-V character(s) of focus on the pack cover and on posters and such. Arc-V era also had generous releases of concurrent Anime (and some early Manga) content in the annual Collectors Pack; Aquaactress, Prediction Princess, and Flower Cardians all graced this game through there, not to mention many of the iconic new stuff from the third year of Arc-V only saw the light of day thanks to the Collectors Pack that closed Arc-V out, with Odd-Eyes Venom Dragon as the cover. And of course, they were generous with both the Main Set space for Anime stuff (though their frugality set in by the 3rd year, alas), and the variety of Arc-V Anime Deck-related promos were more broad than they are now (though Arc-V had their pet Decks they favored more, still).

As opposed to then, now it sometimes feels like they are doing the bare-minimum of appropriate representation as far as Anime support goes. Granted VRAINS' structure of only really Playmaker having any consistent Dueling agency (or even non-Dueling agency) means that the focus can be more justified (by those doing the justifying) to be on him (ergo the 3 Playmaker Structures, and the flood of Cyberse promos, which also have the benefit of being a new Type that's not beholden to old Type support). VRAINS does not have the robust Dueling cast Arc-V did. Not even the Knights of Hanoi have the same feeling of respect that the Obelisk Force and Sector Security did. There's a steady growing packet of cards that are being added to VRAINS' limbo that (via the one-off Duelists that not only are one-off but feel one-off, even if they technically aren't one-offs, that Playmaker needs to face and beat) casts serious doubt about them seeing the light of day with each passing product reveal (the Tentaclusters, everything used by the Hanoi Lieutenants, even the Virus lady's stuff which would have been appropriately timed, the D-Scales, Hydradrives, and Drones, and now the G-Golems from the Earth Ignis...).

Compared to Arc-V, VRAINS-era Anime support has been rather... destitute and skimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotonLegion View Post
    Technically speaking, no. The previous power-up packs, from the Starter Decks that gave us "Limited Barian's Force" and "OED", had one or two new cards in them. I just tend to take the "Assume the worst and things can only get better approach".
    Hmm.

Yeah, but as I recall, the last couple of times they did them, there was one predetermined card, and then a random selection of a small group of cards. I'm only counting the one guaranteed card as part of it.
    I guess this really is nothing more than a "wait and see" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionStorm View Post
    This deck makes 1 more Vrains SD than Arc-V had and even with Arc-V SDs they weren't all one summoning method/one type focus. Yeah, I know there some miscellaneous non-Cyberse monsters in the Vrains SDs. The first 12 cards of Cyberse Link are all Cyberse monsters and all three recent decks are very clearly concerned with Cyberse above all else.
    That's more down to VRAINS' structure as an Anime; it's comparatively destitute, where only few get treated with privilege of agency. We got 3 Playmaker Cyberse Structures 'cause they are the most sound Anime choice. Cyberse also being new means the burst of support is also warranted (by those doing the warranting). Link Summoning is the name of the game, so everything is Link-focused.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was only 1 SD based on Yuya. The others were based on the main rival and the final villain-even though Yuya's face was on the last one. Even though Yuya became part of the final villain and he used some similar cards because the characters were intricately related, the final SD of Arc-V was inspired by Zarc. From the Graph Sorcerers and the Graph Spell and Trap inspired by them and the 4 new Pendulum Magicians that were incarnations of the 4 dimension dragons. At most you could say the deck was a combination of two characters with similar deck content but you could not say the final Arc-V SD was simply a second Yuya deck. So really it's 3 decks inspired by 3 different characters from Arc-V versus 3 decks all based on the same single character in Vrains. Also, Arc-V era didn't rely on just Arc-V characters for anime based SD. Yuya's SD didn't come out until the second year allowing time for his deck to actually develop unlike Vrains shoving a Yusaku SD after what, five weeks of the show? During Arc-V we got a Judai deck and a Yusei deck in it's first year and a Yugi and Seto SD during the third year. The SDs didn't rely focus soley on the current anime so there's no real justification for having 3 Yusaku decks in a row.
    Last edited by ScionStorm; 27th August 2018 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScionStorm View Post
    There was only 1 SD based on Yuya. The others were based on the main rival and the final villain-even though Yuya's face was on the last one. Even though Yuya became part of the final villain and he used some similar cards because the characters were intricately related, the final SD of Arc-V was inspired by Zarc. From the Graph Sorcerers and the Graph Spell and Trap inspired by them and the 4 new Pendulum Magicians that were incarnations of the 4 dimension dragons. At most you could say the deck was a combination of two characters with similar deck content but you could not say the final Arc-V SD was simply a second Yuya deck. So really it's 3 decks inspired by 3 different characters from Arc-V versus 3 decks all based on the same single character in Vrains. Also, Arc-V era didn't rely on just Arc-V characters for anime based SD. Yuya's SD didn't come out until the second year allowing time for his deck to actually develop unlike Vrains shoving a Yusaku SD after what, five weeks of the show? During Arc-V we got a Judai deck and a Yusei deck in it's first year and a Yugi and Seto SD during the third year. The SDs didn't rely focus soley on the current anime so there's no real justification for having 3 Yusaku decks in a row.
    Some of this I may indeed have mis-recalled. Specifially equating Zarc Magicians to the Pendulum Magicians, since bar the Graphs, they are Pendulum Magicians that works with Yuya's other Pendulum Magicians, Tuning Magician, and Harmonizing Magician and related joint support (despite directly intended to feed into Summoning Zarc without relying solely on the Dimension Dragons).

I will say this, though. Just because they did it one way before doesn't mean they need to be "justified" to not do it the same way again. Yusaku's circumstances are different than Yuya's and the Arc-V era in general. I mean, the entire set-up and general skimping of Anime content in Main Sets in contrary to the first 2 years of Arc-V means they don't beholden themselves to what they did or did not do prior when choosing what to do now. It also means circumstances change. No different to the changing circumstances and design prospects throughout the game's history (the memories of GX's Anime support are haunting; so much that Cyber Angels are glad they dodged a bullet thanks to their late release).

For example, the early release of a protag Structure instead of waiting a year makes sense when you consider the notion that providing for your lead early rather than half-way late makes more sense. Further fleshing out and providing release avenues for the primary Dueling character of the ongoing series (he's not only the lead, but also the prime source of Dueling in VRAINS, for better or worse) through 2 subsequent Structures also comes off sound from that hypothetical perspective. Sure, last era had other protags/rivals that weren't current series have Structure Decks made for them, but that was then, and an argument could be made that it makes more sense to create Structures for the contemporary series' characters (which is Yusaku, 'cause again, he's the one doing most of VRAINS' Dueling and he has a (once) blank-slate Deck that they could take their time with and not create what ended up happening technically twice over with Yuya [conflating Zarc with Yuya again for the purpose of this specific point]). Besides, they've using Legend Duelist Packs for pumping support to old Anime characters right now, and seem content enough to stick with that for past series characters.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I effing called this.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    I effing called this.
    A Soulburner/Salamangreat Structure, specifically?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    A Soulburner/Salamangreat Structure, specifically?
    Yeah. The ultimate way to mess with us.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's yet another freaking cyberse themed structure deck, but one that at least isn't yusaku themed so you aren't sure how annoyed you should be?

Also, they're really hyping Soulburner in the anime, so him getting a structure is pretty well telegraphed. He might be getting even more screentime than Johan did in GX season 3.
    Current decks: Salamangreats, Knightmare Cyberse, and Odd-Eyes Performapals
    Originator of the Tulpa Summon, and the homebrewed cards you use with it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's yet another freaking cyberse themed structure deck, but one that at least isn't yusaku themed so you aren't sure how annoyed you should be?

Also, they're really hyping Soulburner in the anime, so him getting a structure is pretty well telegraphed. He might be getting even more screentime than Johan did in GX season 3.
    It in a nutshell.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I dunno about "us", since a Soulburner Structure is exactly something I would want.

For the former, not very, if you were being fair, as Salamangreat play differently enough from Playmaker Cyberse (including largely preferring their own things) that they're not as comparable as they might seem, even if they share a Monster Type.

For the latter, two points. One is that it's still too soon to say he's getting more screen-time than Jesse, since this Season has largely only begun and also since the cast-structure of GX Season 3 and this show is fundamentally different. The second, and this is the very definition of hearsay, but apparently Soulburner is popular in Japan (Japanese Voice Actor's fame may or may not have something to do with it). If there is any weight to that hearsay, than that means Soulburner is simply doing his job, so to speak.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 30th August 2018 at 09:39 AM.

Registered User ThePhotonLegion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://ygorganization.com/lotsofshinysoulburnercards/

Rarity spread. The deck has one less Ultra and one less Parallel than the previous instalment. The Enhancement Pack however more than makes up for that. Unless those 2 Ultras are just reprints of the SOFU cards, I'm a little more hopeful on what it gives us now.