User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [OCG] Structure Deck: Soulburner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    I'm personally fine with this being a thing; I was just recognizing the oft-felt frustration in the general fandom.
    Fair enough, though from what I've gathered, that's more a very vocal minority than the general fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotonLegion View Post
    Seeing as a Structure Deck hasn’t used the expansion pack method before now, and this one seems to focus on the Extra Deck, I wouldn’t count those cards in on that trend just yet.
    Also fair enough.

I mean, if they want to encourage the Reincarnation Link Summon aspect, they would need to give duplicates of the Extra Deck Links.

Still, they'd need more than just Heatleo...

I guess it's still wait-and-see mode.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Fair enough, though from what I've gathered, that's more a very vocal minority than the general fandom.
    I will stand by my belief Link format is the greediest invention Konami has ever had for the game. Link Vrains Pack is easy evidence of that. But that is my belief.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's likely due to your perspective. As you said, you're not really for any of the current VRAINS Anime Decks, so any focus on them will seem like too much focus (there's a word or phrase that describes that feeling; it might be "confirmation bias" but I'm not 100%, but there is a word/phrase for it).

Arc-V era Structures (so not counting annual Starter Decks) that weren't Rs (Arc-V era is where Rs first began) included 2 Yuyas, 1 Declan, and a Yugi and a Kaiba (introduced Magnet Warriors and ABC). I don't recall any non-Rs that weren't at least tangentially related to an Anime character during that era. Furthermore, this era introduced the Booster Pack Specials (which are now known as Deck Build Packs). The first Booster Pack Special released the first wave of D/D support, along with reprinting Gem-Knights, Constellars, and X-Sabers (each with one new card apiece). The 2nd one gave us Yosenju, which were used in the Anime, and Necroz and Ritual Beasts. For the next few years, it became a twice-a-year outlet for Arc-V related Anime releases and debuts. Often, there'd be one focus of a new Deck (Phantom Knights, Speedroids, Predaplants) along with another character who's getting reprints and a refresher (the Jack support, Shay support, and Sora support), rounded off by non-Anime Deck (PSY-Frames, Super Quantals, Invoked). These Booster SPs often featured the Arc-V character(s) of focus on the pack cover and on posters and such. Arc-V era also had generous releases of concurrent Anime (and some early Manga) content in the annual Collectors Pack; Aquaactress, Prediction Princess, and Flower Cardians all graced this game through there, not to mention many of the iconic new stuff from the third year of Arc-V only saw the light of day thanks to the Collectors Pack that closed Arc-V out, with Odd-Eyes Venom Dragon as the cover. And of course, they were generous with both the Main Set space for Anime stuff (though their frugality set in by the 3rd year, alas), and the variety of Arc-V Anime Deck-related promos were more broad than they are now (though Arc-V had their pet Decks they favored more, still).

As opposed to then, now it sometimes feels like they are doing the bare-minimum of appropriate representation as far as Anime support goes. Granted VRAINS' structure of only really Playmaker having any consistent Dueling agency (or even non-Dueling agency) means that the focus can be more justified (by those doing the justifying) to be on him (ergo the 3 Playmaker Structures, and the flood of Cyberse promos, which also have the benefit of being a new Type that's not beholden to old Type support). VRAINS does not have the robust Dueling cast Arc-V did. Not even the Knights of Hanoi have the same feeling of respect that the Obelisk Force and Sector Security did. There's a steady growing packet of cards that are being added to VRAINS' limbo that (via the one-off Duelists that not only are one-off but feel one-off, even if they technically aren't one-offs, that Playmaker needs to face and beat) casts serious doubt about them seeing the light of day with each passing product reveal (the Tentaclusters, everything used by the Hanoi Lieutenants, even the Virus lady's stuff which would have been appropriately timed, the D-Scales, Hydradrives, and Drones, and now the G-Golems from the Earth Ignis...).

Compared to Arc-V, VRAINS-era Anime support has been rather... destitute and skimpy.

Hmm.

I guess this really is nothing more than a "wait and see" thing.

That's more down to VRAINS' structure as an Anime; it's comparatively destitute, where only few get treated with privilege of agency. We got 3 Playmaker Cyberse Structures 'cause they are the most sound Anime choice. Cyberse also being new means the burst of support is also warranted (by those doing the warranting). Link Summoning is the name of the game, so everything is Link-focused.
    While it's true that many non-r structures were related to anime characters, they were associated to different characters and playstyles. It was like, "here's a pendulum structure. Don't like it? We have Heroes. Oh, not your cup of tea? What about Synchros? And DDD? They use each extra deck summons, try them! Not of your taste? I see... ABC or Magnets, then!".
    They really tried their best to reach each and every player with at least one structure. But now, they just give you cyberse. Don't like cyberse? I don't give a shit about your opinion, here another one. Be sure to buy it, 'cause it works great with the next one, which is also a cyberse one.

Not really "confirmation bias" or anything, since the only Arc-V deck I have IRL is Fluffal (plus Cardian, Abyss Actor and Superheavy for online play only). I hate Performapal/Magician/Odd-Eyes/whatever and most of the pendulum archetypes that were released during that era, and don't really care about any other Arc-V archetype. Also, being a geek myself I kind of like cyberse: they're cool, easy to play and fun too, sometimes. But I also want variety, I want alternatives, and Konami releasing four cyberse decks in a row takes it away from me.

So, this is the reason I hope the next one won't be another cyberse deck. If they really want to push anime decks is fine, but at least give me variety! ^^'
    Last edited by BBDD; 1st September 2018 at 02:52 PM.
    I'm using this forum to improve my english while also talking about a hobby of mine. Sorry for my grammatical mistakes.