User Tag List

Thread: Blackwing Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackwing Thread

After reading some decklist threads, I decided to write one for one of my favorite decks. The archetype everyone loves and hates, the archetype that changed the story of 5D's, the birds that came before the R*pe Raptors: the Blackwings (a.k.a. Blackfeather).

PERSONAL STORY
    This archetype is quiet old, so everyone knows about it. They are Crow Hogan's archetype, and many people hate this guy, often because of his deck. To be honest, back then during the Duel Monsters and GX eras, as a young child without much money I could only afford a bunch of cards that never properly worked. My first actual theme deck was a WATER deck, based of the Structure Deck: Fury from the Deep. However, since I never could have buy strong and rare cards aside from Structure Decks, I dropped the game during the middle of GX, but I watched the anime from time to time, and I watched some of 5D's back then. Years later, during the late 5D's era or early ZEXAL era, I discovered a shop that sold YGO cards, and I was fascinated by the idea to collect the Signer dragons and maybe to build a modern deck. The shop sold Duelist Pack Crow packs, and after doing my research about the Blackwing archetype, I decided to buy a bunch of decks and built a new deck. My Blackwing deck was my first Synchro deck and I love how they worked. I bought new cards to strengthen my deck and to grow my collection. But since I didn't bought cards from the ZEXAL era, I later became outclassed against Xyz monsters, so I dropped the game for a few years again. Last year, after discovering DevPro and buying three Starter Decks from the new ARC-V era, I returned to the game again, and I'm definitively much better than before. Even though the Blackwings aren't my Main archetype anymore, they are my second best in real life, and thanks to the new support from the 5D's manga and ARC-V anime, they are still in the game.

Enough of me. As the archetype has a lot of members, I won't introduce you to all of them, but to the key players in most Blackwing decks. Most of the stuff I will tell you are from my perspective, so it will be not a perfect guide, but since it's a forum, everyone can add tips on the thread.

As everyone knows, it's a Synchro archetype, but it has also room for Xyz Monsters. Despite it's focus on Synchro Summoning, the Main Deck members are not entirely weak and should not be underestimated either, which gives them an edge over most other Synchro-heavy builds.

MAIN DECK BLACKWINGS

Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
    DARK Winged-Beast / Effect
    LV5 / 2000 ATK / 900 DEF
    If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon/Set this card without Tributing. Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1: You can target 1 "Blackwing" monster you control; until the end of this turn, it gains ATK equal to the total ATK of all "Blackwing" monsters currently on the field, except itself. Monsters other than the targeted monster cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect.
    This guy is basically your Cyber Dragon. He's the main reason why you would let your opponent go first. Combined with Black Whirlwind, you can go for any weaker Blackwing from your deck, the first choice being Gale, so you can go for a Level 8 Synchro. His buff effect is very useful to overpower your opponent's strongest monster and it works also effective in a mirror match. Excellent targets are Bora and Armed Wing. Run 2-3.

Blackwing - Kris the Crack of Dawn
    LV4 / 1900 ATK / 300 DEF
    If you control a "Blackwing" monster other than "Blackwing - Kris the Crack of Dawn", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Blackwing - Kris the Crack of Dawn" once per turn this way. Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by Spell/Trap effects.
    A powerful Level 4 Blackwing with the ability to Special Summon himself from your hand. With 1900 ATK a solid beater and with Black Whirlwind, you can search most of your Blackwings. However, I personally have some issues with this guy. I find him actually not as good as Shura and Bora for following reasons: You cannot Special Summon multiple copies of Kris in one turn with his own effect, which makes him worse than Bora, and he's only by 100 ATK stronger than Shura, who can Special Summon a Blackwing with 1500 or less ATK from your deck. The only positive side of him I can see is that he can survive once per turn if your opponent would destroy him with card effects. So, if you run into Mirror Force, Kris will survive and doesn't leave you wide open. But if you're more focused on Rank 4 plays than Synchros, I recommend you to run 2-3 copies of him. In any other build, 0-3, since he's actually a decent card.

Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame
    LV4 / 1800 ATK / 1200 DEF
    When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Blackwing" monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck, but its effects are negated.
    Another solid beater, but at least you get rewarded if he beats a non-Pendulum monster; you can Special Summon a Blackwing with 1500 or less ATK from your deck, which can eventually attack during the Battle Phase, too. You can either set up a Level 5 to 7 Synchro with him or a Rank 4 Xyz. Run 2-3.

Blackwing - Bora the Spear
    LV4 / 1700 ATK / 800 DEF
    If you control a "Blackwing" monster other than "Blackwing - Bora the Spear", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.
    A Piercing Damage dealer that can swarm the field by himself. Bora is an excellent card for swarming, Synchro/Xyz plays and for dealing damage. He is searchable through Black Whirlwind if you Normal Summon Sirocco, Kris or Shura. So you can either buff Bora with Sirocco's effect to inflict a lot of battle damage or you can Xyz Summon a monster or doing something different. Since you can Special Summon multiple Boras in one turn, he's better in swarming the field than Kris, who is only by 200 ATK stronger than Bora. Run 3.

Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite
    LV4 / 1600 ATK / 1000 DEF
    If this card is in your Graveyard: You can return 1 face-up card you control to the hand; Special Summon this card, and if you do, take 400 damage. You can only use this effect of "Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite" once per Duel.
    A heavily nerfed card from the anime that would make Black-Winged Dragon broken if Zephyros kept the anime effect. While probably more useful in other decks, Zephyros can be used for some quiet good combos. While he can only revive himself once per duel, he might be useful if your field is empty, but you happen to have Kris/Bora or Gale in your hand. So you can Normal Summon Kris/Bora or Gale, bounce them back to revive Zephyros and then Synchro/Xyz Summon a monster. You might find other ways to make him useful. Run 0-1.

Blackwing - Kochi the Daybreak
    DARK Winged-Beast / Tuner / Effect
    LV4 / 700 ATK / 1500 DEF
    If this card was Special Summoned, it cannot be used as a Synchro Material.
    A Level 4 Tuner monster who works perfectly well with Bora or Kris for a Level 8 Synchro. Keep in mind that Kochi's "effect" isn't an actual effect, but a summoning condition, which means you cannot use him for Synchro Summon, even if you Special Summon him with Shura's effect. However, if you does summon him with Shura's effect, you can still go for an Xyz Summon instead. Due to not being a versatile card, run 0-2.

Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow
    LV3 / 1400 ATK / 1000 DEF
    During either player's Damage Step, when a "Blackwing" monster you control is attacking or being attacked: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; that monster gains 1400 ATK until the end of this turn.
    This little guy is another reason why people should be aware against Blackwings. His effect buffs your Blackwings and gives you the opportunity to overpower your opponent with your monsters. For mind games, a fun card to use and your opponent won't rush against you if they consider Kalut in mind. Since Kalut's effect can only be activated during the Damage Step, there are only a few cards to stop him or your attacking monster. Run 2-3.

Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
    LV3 / 1300 ATK / 400 DEF
    If you control a "Blackwing" monster other than "Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that target's ATK and DEF become half its current ATK and DEF.
    Weak but skilled. A dangerous little bird with the ability to Special Summon himself and it halves the ATK and DEF of an opponent's monster permanently. Since he's not restricted only to Blackwing Synchro Monsters, he's ideal for any Synchro Summon. With Sirocco, you can go for any Level 8 Synchro Monster. Even if you somehow end up with only Kalut in your hand, Normal Summon Kalut while having Black Whirlwind on the field will give you this little guy. Run 3.

Blackwing - Pinaki the Waxing Moon
    LV3 / 1200 ATK / 1000 DEF
    Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Blackwing" Synchro Monster. During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there from the field this turn: You can add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Blackwing - Pinaki the Waxing Moon". You can only use this effect of "Blackwing - Pinaki the Waxing Moon" once per turn.
    A great searcher who can search you any Blackwing monster you want. Even though he's only restricted for Blackwing Synchros, you get rewarded if he leaves the field. So even if your opponent's destroys him or you tribute him for Icarus Attack, you get a free card. Run 3.

Blackwing - Breeze the Zephyr
    LV3 / 1100 ATK / 300 DEF
    If this card is added from your Deck to your hand by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a "Blackwing" monster.
    A great target for Black Whirlwind, since he Special Summons himself from your hand if you add him with a card effect to your hand. He makes Level 6-7 Synchros easier, but he's only restricted to Blackwing Synchros. A weakness of Zephyr is that he's mostly useless in your initial hand and is a dead draw. That's why you'd run only 0-2.

Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North
    LV2 / 1300 ATK / 0 DEF
    Cannot be Special Summoned. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower "Blackwing" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position.
    A great bird with the ability to revive your low-Level birds. Perfect for Level 6 Synchros, but also for other combos. Also a good card for graveyard manipulation. Run 3.

Blackwing - Harmattan the Sandstorm
    LV2 / 800 ATK / 800 DEF
    If you control a "Blackwing" monster other than "Blackwing Harmattan the Sandstorm", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Blackwing Harmattan the Sandstorm" once per turn this way. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 other "Blackwing" monster you control; increase this card's Level by the Level of that monster.
    Not useful on first sight, but a very useful card if you think about it. The new card from BOSH will be a big support for your Blackwings. For example, if you have Black Whirlwind on the field and Normal Summon Blizzard, you can both, revive a monster from your graveyard and search this card from your deck. With Harmattan, you get a Level 8 or 7 Synchro even easier, but with Harmattan's ability to adjust his Level, he's even more versatile. He also makes you consider to run a copy of Silverwind the Ascendant. So, 2-3.

Blackwing - Mistral the Silver Shield
    LV2 / 100 ATK / 1800 DEF
    If this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Reduce the next battle damage you would take this turn to 0.
    Another Level 2 Tuner with solid DEF and a defensive effect. Unlike Blizzard, you can revive Mistral from your graveyard. You might need this card if you build a deck focusing on Red Nova Dragon. Run 0-2.

EXTRA DECK BLACKWINGS

Blackwing Armor Master
    DARK Winged-Beast / Synchro / Effect
    LV7 / 2500 ATK / 1500 DEF
    1 "Blackwing" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
    Cannot be destroyed by battle, and you take no battle damage from attacks involving this card. At the end of the Damage Step, if this card attacked a monster: You can place 1 Wedge Counter on that monster (max. 1). You can remove all Wedge Counters from your opponent's monsters; the ATK and DEF of those monsters that had Wedge Counters become 0 until the end of this turn.
    One of the most famous Blackwing boss monsters, Armor Master, Crow's first signature monster. A great card that cannot be destroyed by battle and you don't take battle damage with him. Furthermore, his ability to place and remove Wedge Counters makes him effective against any powerful monster he cannot destroy at first, but keep in mind it only works when he attacks and that you cannot remove Wedge Counters during the Battle Phase. Be still careful; even if you have Armor Master on the field, your opponent can still get rid of him through card effects. Run 1-3.

Blackwing Armed Wing
    LV6 / 2300 ATK / 1000 DEF
    1 "Blackwing" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
    If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, it gains 500 ATK during the Damage Step only, also inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.
    A more powerful version of Bora the Spear, Armed Wing is a great card to deal with your opponent if he only defends himself. Since Armed Wing gets stronger when he attacks a monster in Defense Position, cards like Book of Moon work perfectly with him. Originally a staple for Level 6 Synchros in a Blackwing build, he has been outclassed by Nothung nowadays. Nevertheless, he still finds his place in the Extra Deck, so run 1-2.

Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant
    LV8 / 2800 ATK / 2000 DEF
    1 "Blackwing" Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
    When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target up to 2 face-up monsters on the field with DEF lower than this card's ATK; destroy those targets. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect. During each of your opponent's turns, the first "Blackwing" monster you control that would be destroyed by battle, is not destroyed.
    Originally the strongest Blackwing Synchro Monster from the 5D's anime, he has a nice destruction effect and can even protect your Blackwings from battle for once per turn. However, the biggest downside of Silverwind is that he requires two non-Tuner monsters, which is rather hard, considering the Level of your key Blackwings. But with Harmattan, it's definitively possible to play this card, so he actually gets a worth spot in the Extra Deck. Run 0-1.

Blackwing Tamer - Obsidian Hawk Joe
    DARK Warrior / Synchro / Effect
    LV7 / 2600 ATK / 2000 DEF
    1 "Blackwing" Tuner + 1 or more "Blackwing" non-Tuner monsters
    You can target 1 Level 5 or higher Winged Beast-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect that targets only this card, or when your opponent targets this card for an attack: You can target 1 other "Blackwing" monster you control that would be an appropriate target; that card/effect/attack now targets the new target. You can only use each effect of "Blackwing Tamer - Obsidian Hawk Joe" once per turn.
    A boss monster from the manga, Joe has the ability to revive big players such as Nothung, Armor Master or Sirocco from your graveyard to give you field advantage. If he would be attacked, you can use his effect to change the direction to Armor Master. Since he can revive your Level 5 or higher Winged-Beast-Type monsters once per turn, it's okay to sacrifice one of them to protect him because they come back again. Keep in mind that he's a Warrior-Type, not a Winged-Beast-Type. Run 1-2.

Blackwing - Nothung the Starlight
    LV6 / 2400 ATK / 1600 DEF
    1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
    If this card is Special Summoned: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent, then 1 face-up monster your opponent controls loses 800 ATK and DEF. You can only use this effect of "Blackwing - Nothung the Starlight" once per turn. During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "Blackwing" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)
    Another manga boss monster and the new staple for Level 6 Synchro Summons. Not only is he the Blackwing's version of Gagaga Cowboy regarding the burn damage, he also weakens an opponent's monster and he gives you an additional Normal Summon. If you have two Blizzard's in your hand while controlling at least one Black Whirlwind, you can summon Nothung with the first Blizzard, then you search Gale or Breeze with your second Blizzard's Normal Summon and go for a Level 8 Synchro and a Hawk Joe, who can revive your Nothung in the same turn or in your next turn. Nothung is the greatest Synchro addition from the manga and he is great for some combos and general field advantage. Also, he's a little bit stronger than Armed Wing. Run 2-3.

Blackwing - Gram the Shining Star
    LV5 / 2200 ATK / 1500 DEF
    Must first be Synchro Summoned. When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower non-Tuner "Blackwing" monster from your hand. Its effects are negated.
    Sometimes when you need a Level 5 Synchro, there are better options than this card. Unlike his other two manga colleagues, Gram's effect is pretty lackluster. The only monsters worth playing by his effect would be Pinaki, Breeze, Mistral or any other Blackwing that cannot Special Summon itself. But Gram's effect is not really worth for that, unless you summon Hawk Joe with Gram and Mistral (if you actually run a Mistral at all). Better options are e.g. Armades, Keeper of Boundaries or T.G. Hyper Librarian. Run 0-1.

Assault Blackwing - Raikiri the Sudden Shower
    LV7 / 2600 ATK / 2000 DEF
    If this card was Synchro Summoned using a "Blackwing" monster as a Synchro Material, it is treated as a Tuner monster. Once per turn: You can target cards your opponent controls, up to the number of other "Blackwing" monsters you control; destroy them.
    ARC-V does not disappoint us with support. Raikiri has an amazing effect and is actualy better than Silverwind. Use the swarming ability of Blackwings to your fullest advantage and OTK your opponent after getting rid of his monsters and backrows. Run 1-2.

The real life effect of Assault Blackwing - Kusanagi the Gathering Stom hasn't been revealed yet, but if his effect is similar to the anime effect, he will be a very powerful beatstick.

SPELL CARDS
    Aside from the obvious stable cards like Mystical Space-Typhoon or Raigeki, there are some Spell Cards this archetype really needs.

Black Whirlwind
    Continuous Spell Card
    When a "Blackwing" monster is Normal Summoned to your side of the field: You can add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand with less ATK than that monster.
    A must for any Blackwing deck. This card gives you enough synergy to make your plays consistent. Normal Summon Sirocco to search a Gale for a Synchro Summon or Bora for dealing a lot of (Piercing) Damage. Normal Summon Kris or Shura to search a Breeze or Bora for a Level 7 Synchro or Rank 4 Xyz. Normal Summon Blizzard to search a Harmattan and go for a Level 8 Synchro with three monsters. Black Whirlwind will thin your deck and provides hand advantage. Also, since you can control more than one copy of Black Whirlwind and you can get its effect multiple times per turn, having two or three copies of it on the field gives you more hand cards. Run 3.

Cards for Black Feathers
    Normal Spell Card
    Banish 1 "Blackwing" monster from your hand; draw 2 cards. You cannot Special Summon during the turn you activate this card. You can only activate 1 "Cards for Black Feathers" per turn.

Allure of Darkness
    Normal Spell Card
    Draw 2 cards, then banish 1 DARK monster from your hand, or, if you don't have any in your hand, send all cards in your hand to the Graveyard.
    As you can see, Cards for Black Feathers has the big downside of not letting you Special Summon during the turn you activate this card. Allure of Darkness does not. So run 1 copy of Allure of Darkness. If it gets semi-limited like in the OCG, then run 2 of course.

Against the Wind
    Normal Spell Card
    Select 1 "Blackwing" monster in your Graveyard. Take damage equal to the ATK of the selected monster, and add it to your hand.

Dark Eruption
    Normal Spell Card
    Target 1 DARK monster with 1500 or less ATK in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.
    Those two cards can recycle your Blackwings. While Against the Wind allows you to recycle any Blackwing, you get damage from it, unless you control a Black-Winged Dragon (but who does), while Dark Eruption only works with your weaker Blackwings, but that's fine actually. Recover Blizzard, and you get a Shura, Bora or Kris back anyway. So, Dark Eruption is the better card. Run 0-2.

TRAP CARDS
    Aside from some staple Trap Cards like Solemn Warning, Bottomless Trap Hole or Compulsory Evacuation Device, there are some useful Trap Cards for this archetype.

Black Sonic
    Normal Trap Card
    When an opponent's monster declares an attack on a "Blackwing" monster you control: Banish all face-up Attack Position monsters your opponent controls. If you control exactly 3 "Blackwing" monsters (and no other monsters), you can activate this card from your hand.
    This card is quiet useful, since it can rid of most of your opponent's monsters and banish them without destroying them. However, the downside of this card is that it needs you of having a face-up Blackwing monster to activate this card, so it's useless if you don't. Mirror Force does the job better, but Black Sonic is definitively a decent card and can work as a Hand Trap. Run 1-3.

Blackwing - Backlash
    Normal Trap Card
    When an opponent declares a direct attack while you have 5 or more "Blackwing" monsters in your Graveyard: Destroy all monsters your opponent controls.
    Similar like Black Sonic, this card needs you to be in a specific situation. Actually, you need to be in trouble to activate this card in the late game. But if you manages to activate this, it's will be very helpful. Run 0-1.

Delta Crow - Anti Reverse
    Normal Trap Card
    If you control a "Blackwing" monster: Destroy all face-down Spell and Trap Cards your opponent controls. If you control exactly 3 "Blackwing" monsters, you can activate this card from your hand.
    A decent card to destroy some backrow. Whether it will be useful or not depends on the situation. Like Black Sonic, you need a face-up Blackwing to activate it. Doubles as a Hand Trap. Run 0-2.

Black Return
    Normal Trap Card
    When exactly 1 "Blackwing" monster (and no other monster) is Special Summoned: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; gain LP equal to the ATK of that target, and if you do, return it to the hand.
    A good card to recover Life Points and getting rid of a face-up monster your opponent controls. And when do you Special Summon a Blackwing monster? A lot. Run 0-3.

Icarus Attack
    Normal Trap Card
    Tribute 1 Winged Beast-Type monster, then target 2 cards on the field; destroy them.
    One of the best cards to get rid of strong monsters or backrow. Unlike Black Sonic or Delta Crow - Anti Reverse, you can tribute a face-down Blackwing to activate this card. Keep in mind that you have to destroy two cards. Most players assume that a Blackwing players has Icarus Attack in their deck, so they might play carefully against those players. Run 2-3.

OTHER MAIN DECK MONSTERS
    There are some Main Deck monsters that are quiet useful in Blackwing builds.

Dark Armed Dragon
    DARK Dragon / Effect
    LV7 / 2800 ATK / 1000 DEF
    Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 3 DARK monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can banish 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.
    With Hawk Joe and Blizzard being able to manipulate your graveyard and all Blackwings being DARK monsters, Dark Armed Dragon can be either be useful or a dead draw. But if you can play him, you can rid of some backrow, some annoying monsters and he's a powerful beatstick. Especially in the early game, he will be very useful. Run 0-1.

Harpie Harpist
    WIND Winged-Beast / Effect
    LV4 / 1700 ATK / 600 DEF
    This card's name becomes "Harpie Lady" while on the field or in the Graveyard. You can only use each of these effects of "Harpie Harpist" once per turn.
    ● When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Winged Beast-Type monster you control (other than this card) and 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; return them to the hand.
    ● During the End Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there this turn: You can add 1 Level 4 Winged Beast-Type monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.
    Return a Blackwing that can Special Summon itself and return a monster to the hand. Harpie Harpist is also a nice searcher. Not needed, but a nice addition. 0-2.

OTHER SYNCHRO MONSTERS
    A pure Blackwing Extra Deck is not really effective, so having other Extra Deck monsters is needed to compete with strong decks.

Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons
    DARK Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV8 / 3000 ATK / 3000 DEF
    1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
    Cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects. When you take damage from an attack involving this card, or from an opponent's card effect: This card gains ATK equal to the damage you took.
    One of the greatest Synchro Monsters you can get. With all Blackwing Tuners being DARK monsters, you have easy access to this card. Kochi + Bora/Kris/Shura, Sirocco + Gale, Blizzard + Bora/Shura/Kris + Harmattan, Nothung/Armed Wing + Blizzard. This Duel Dragon is nigh-indestructable and gets stronger when you take damage with him. It's probably the best boss monster in Blackwing deck. However, please stay cautious, as there are many ways to get rid of Beelze. Cards like Compulsory Evacuation Device, Yosenju Kama #1 or Qliphort Carrier can bounce him back, Castel and Silent Honor ARK can remove him from the field as well, Apoqliphort Towers and Dark End Dragon can send Beelze to the graveyard without destroying him, Utopia Beyond can deal massive damage towards you and Ice Beast Zerofyne can negate Beelze's effect. And of course, Number 11: Big Eye. And keep in mind that you probably lose the game if your opponent controls a Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon. Once Beelze's effect is activated, your Life Points get burned to death. Still, run 1-2.

Black Rose Dragon
    FIRE Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV7 / 2400 ATK / 1800 DEF
    When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can destroy all cards on the field. Once per turn: You can banish 1 Plant-Type monster from your Graveyard, then target 1 Defense Position monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-up Attack Position, and if you do, its ATK becomes 0 until the end of this turn.
    Probably the most powerful base Signer Dragon, (stoppable by Stardust Dragon). This card can reset the game if you are in disadvantage and it works very well with Beelze, who will be unharmed by Black Rose's effect. Run 0-1.

Black Rose Moonlight Dragon
    LIGHT Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV7 / 2400 ATK / 1800 DEF
    If this card is Special Summoned, or a Level 5 or higher monster(s) is Special Summoned to your opponent's side of the field: Target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; return that target to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Black Rose Moonlight Dragon" once per turn.
    The Duel Dragon counterpart to Black Rose Dragon and it can screw your opponent's plays. Run 0-1.

Clear Wing Synchro Dragon
    WIND Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV7 2500 ATK / 2000 DEF
    Once per turn, during either player's turn, when another Level 5 or higher monster activates its effect on the field: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated that targets exactly 1 Level 5 or higher monster on the field (and no other cards): You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. If this card's effect destroys a monster, this card gains ATK equal to the destroyed monster's original ATK until the end of this turn.
    Fusion's ace monster that can protect your Blackwings and Beelze as well. Run 0-1.

Stardust Dragon
    WIND Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV8 2500 ATK / 2000 DEF
    During either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that would destroy a card(s) on the field: You can Tribute this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.
    A dragon that generally protects your cards from destruction effects. Run 0-1.

Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend
    DARK Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV8 / 3000 ATK / 2500 DEF
    This card's name becomes "Red Dragon Archfiend" while it is on the field or in the Graveyard. Once per turn: You can destroy as many Special Summoned Effect Monsters on the field as possible with ATK less than or equal to this card's (other than this card), then inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed.
    The ARC-V version of Red Dragon Archfiend with more DEF. This guy can destroy a lot of monsters and inflicts burn damage to your opponent. Works well in tandem with Beelze. Due to his name being treated Red Dragon Archfiend, you might consider to run the evolutions of Red Dragon Archfiend and its Duel Dragon counterpart, Hot Red Dragon Archfiend. Run 0-1.

Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree
    EARTH Beast / Synchro / Effect
    LV10 / 3100 ATK / 1900 DEF
    Cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects, except during your Main Phase 2.
    A powerful beatstick that can protect itself. Level 10 Synchros are possible for Blackwings. Run 0-1.

Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
    WATER / Dragon / Synchro / Effect
    LV9 / 2700 ATK / 200 DEF
    1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
    When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can banish up to 1 card each from your opponent's hand, field, and Graveyard. (The card in the hand is chosen at random.)
    Another reason why Harmattan is such a great addition to the Blackwings. You can summon Trishula with him. Normal Summon Shura/Kris/Bora and search for Harmattan or Gale, depending which one you already have in your hand and summon this once-forbidden dragon. Run 0-1.

Goyo Guardian
    EARTH Warrior / Synchro / Effect
    LV6 / 2800 ATK / 2000 DEF
    When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that monster to your side of the field in Defense Position.
    The ridiculously powerful Level 6 monster that can steal your opponent's monsters for more Synchros or Xyzs. Run 0-1.

Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
    LIGHT Fiend / Synchro /Effect
    LV5 / 2300 ATK / 1500 DEF
    If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.
    If you cannot Synchro Summon Level 6 or higher Synchros right now, then you have this guy as a solid beater. Run 0-1.

XYZ MONSTERS
    I think I don't need to mention staple Rank 4 Xyz Monsters like Number 101: Silent Honor ARK, Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon, Evilswarm Excitonknight, etc. You might include one or two Rank 3 Monsters if you end with having two Level 3 Tuner Monsters on the field or Rank 6 or Rank 7 Monsters if you don't mind overlaying your Synchro Monsters, but that's left up to you. However, those following Xyz Monster will be helpful in a Blackwing deck because they are in a Blackwing deck.

Raidraptor - Force Strix
    DARK Winged-Beast / Xyz / Effect
    RK4 / 100 ATK / 2000 DEF
    2 Level 4 monsters
    This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for each other Winged Beast-Type monster you control. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 Level 4 DARK Winged Beast-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.
    Kurosaki's generic Rank 4 Xyz Monster that can search you a Level 4 Blackwing monster from your deck. Run 0-2.

Ice Beast Zerofyne
    WATER Winged-Beast / Xyz / Effect
    RK4 / 2000 ATK / 2200 DEF
    2 Level 4 Winged Beast-Type monsters
    Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of all face-up cards your opponent currently controls, and if you do, this card gains 300 ATK for each face-up card currently on the field, except this card (these effects are applied until your next Standby Phase).
    Rio's first ace monster that helps you get rid of nasty effects. Zerofyne will also double as a beatstick until your next Standby Phase. Run 1-2.

FUSION MONSTERS
    If you play with Mask Change II, then you have access to these two DARK guys.

Masked HERO Dark Law
    DARK Warrior / Fusion / Effect
    LV6 / 2400 ATK / 1800 DEF
    Must be Special Summoned with "Mask Change" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Any card sent to your opponent's Graveyard is banished instead. Once per turn, if your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand (except during the Draw Phase or the Damage Step): You can banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand.
    Dark Law is card that often ruins the gameplay of your opponent. Run 0-2.

Masked HERO Anki
    DARK Warrior / Fusion / Effect
    LV8 / 2800 ATK / 1200 DEF
    Must be Special Summoned with "Mask Change" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card can attack your opponent directly, but when it does so using this effect, the battle damage inflicted to your opponent is halved. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Change" Quick-Play Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Masked HERO Anki" once per turn.
    If you need a strong beatstick. Run 0-1.

GENERAL PLAY STYLE
    Generally, you focus on swarming the field with Blackwings to overwhelm your opponent with either low-Level Main Deck monsters or high-Level Synchro Monsters. Black Whirlwind, Pinaki and Force Strix will help you to search your key cards and to maintain hand/field advantage. Most of your key Blackwings can Special Summon themselves from your hand or Special Summon other Blackwings from the deck or graveyard. Sirocco, Kalut and Gale ensure you that you can take down big monsters and inflict a lot of damage. With Bora/Kris swarming the field and Shura summoning some Tuners from your deck, your field will be full very soon. With Icarus Attack, you can either decide to go immediately for a Synchro Summon or to wait and tribute a low-Level Blackwing to destroy two of your opponent card's while keeping at least one Blackwing on the field instead of tributing your Synchro Monster. With Armor Master as your main fighter, Armed Wing as your Piercing Damage Dealer, Raikiri as your destroyer, and Nothung and Hawk Joe helping you to swarm the field with Synchro Monsters, you have a nice pool of powerful Blackwings. With Beelze, you have a hard-to-beat boss monster that will give your opponent some trouble. And you still have access to nice Rank 4 Xyz Monsters.

With new incoming support in the future, this archetype won't probably die in the near future. Let's see if Crow's Blackwings will defeat Kurosaki's R*ape Raptors in the ARC-V anime. It's coming in a few weeks. For budget players, this archetype is great, as most of the cards are in Common, but even the Synchro Monsters are very cheap. Actually, you can build a whole deck of cheap foil cards. The only really expensive cards are Beelze and the staple cards not related to Blackwings, e.g. Raigeki, some Xyz Monsters, as well as some other Synchro Monsters e.g. Trishula.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I appproved your post I'd like to request that you stay on the topic of Blackwings, and not your personal experience regarding them. Feel free to write more about yourself in your profile, but we want to keep the deck Dicussion area focused on the actual deck.

Feel free to mention Crow Hogan and how he's relevant to the anime, but other than that please keep the OP centered around Blackwing-rrelated lores and strategies.

Thank You.

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the release of Death the Mourning Wind and Chidori the Light Rain, perhaps the OP is in need of being updated?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    making a blackwing following this guide will sound intresting gonna try

Registered User Charly Ruri Raptors's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs update with cards from Shining Victories and The Dark Illusion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can personally attest to the power of Tornado the Raging Squall. Special Summoned monsters are normal in this age and being able to revive a Pinaki to go into Hawk Joe to revive a dead Blackwing Synchro and get a search off during the End Phase is wonderful too. Gofu is also a wonderful recovery card, allowing you to, again, go into a dead Hawk Joe who will go into a dead other Blackwing Synchro.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken to running a single copy of Raptor Wing Strike in my Blackwing deck. It boosts the deck to 41 cards but it's helping me out something fierce, especially when I open up with a dead hand. Pinaki really is invaluable here; it gets all of your plays going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what other blackwings are good for a deck thats pure syncro