User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arc-V Dub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuchiki View Post
    The one thing dub lacks is of course the epic music during certain duels or scenes where the mood setting changes. A perfect example of this can be seen during the duel with Shay versus Sora where Shay summons his three vanishing lanuis and overlays into raid raptor rise falcon and when Sora goes lunatic then summons frightfur mad chimera.
    Every yugioh dub has less epic music than the original. Its going to happen, and we just have to accept it. Even the original scores to DM sound better, and that had a really good soundtrack in the english.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarkiel View Post
    Every yugioh dub has less epic music than the original. Its going to happen, and we just have to accept it. Even the original scores to DM sound better, and that had a really good soundtrack in the english.
    I dunno, it might be just me, but the Japanese version of DM never seemed to have fitting music, Yugi's theme not withstanding. Though Warriors and Overlap were good. Maybe I just haven't heard enough.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    I dunno, it might be just me, but the Japanese version of DM never seemed to have fitting music, Yugi's theme not withstanding. Though Warriors and Overlap were good. Maybe I just haven't heard enough.
    I think what sells it for me is the Egyptian god themes compared to ours. There's seem so much more epic, while ours just kind of linger in the background. But DM is like the weakest example of having better music. If you really want to compare, its zexal.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what sells it for me is the Egyptian god themes compared to ours. There's seem so much more epic, while ours just kind of linger in the background. But DM is like the weakest example of having better music. If you really want to compare, its zexal.
    Yeah, the music during the first Summon of Ra was pretty poor compared to the dub. Obelisk wasn't bad, but then the dub turned the epic up to eleven. Slifer during the Bakura duel is good in a different way in both versions I think.

By better music in Zexal do you mean that the Japanese is better?
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanokal View Post
    Yeah, the music during the first Summon of Ra was pretty poor compared to the dub. Obelisk wasn't bad, but then the dub turned the epic up to eleven. Slifer during the Bakura duel is good in a different way in both versions I think.

By better music in Zexal do you mean that the Japanese is better?
    oh yes. way better. The dub just didn't capture the epic moments like the original did. Just compare the music in each version when the barian chaos draw is performed. The Japanesse did it so much better.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yes. way better. The dub just didn't capture the epic moments like the original did. Just compare the music in each version when the barian chaos draw is performed. The Japanesse did it so much better.
    Just checking. I agree with you, but the way the conversation was going confused me a little there.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't mind dubs in general, and I know a lot of people have nostalgia for the older YGO things in general, but I'm really not a fan of the direction that they go with these in particular. Similar to the infamous Sailor Moon dubbing worldwide, I just don't like when names are changed in particular and other key moments are dumbed down.

Arc-V's overall bad animation and my disdain for some of the key elements of the dub really just combine to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The issues with music is generally that licensing it is costly. Though my biggest problem is that a lot of moments with the dub thus far really feel out of character for the sake of Americanization. The biggest American stereotype in Arc-V was also changed to a different nationality, as a bit of irony.

I dunno if this is really what you were expecting, but I would hope that there was an uncut version of the dub that didn't change the scripting and dumb down the characters for a perceived dumber and much younger audience, like with Duel Monsters. If that were the case, I wouldn't have too many issues outside of unfitting voices and absolutely silly names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the music makes a huge difference IMO. It just sets the mood very well. I watch a couple select episodes, and voice acting wasn't bad, but I felt something was missing. Perhaps one complaint I had about the voices is that Sora didn't really give me the sinister feeling that he did in the original.