User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about "LV" monsters

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it seems that the general weakness of LV monsters is that their Level Up conditions are absurdly hard to pull off. What's more, LV monsters of a higher level are essentially dead in the hand. Is that about it?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post
    So it seems that the general weakness of LV monsters is that their Level Up conditions are absurdly hard to pull off. What's more, LV monsters of a higher level are essentially dead in the hand. Is that about it?
    Sounds about right.
    I'm seriously getting interested in designing support for these cards.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna chime in here with something related.

I'm sure we all remember when Chazz picked up Armed Dragons in GX, and there was a considerable amount of hype surrounding them -- especially once he produced another form of it atop the existing ones, which went and skipped an extra Level up. And then we became relatively disappointed when, surprise! We couldn't use "Level Up!" to make it. That bit hard.

Same story for some of the later LV monsters like Allure Queen and Dark Lucius, only in their case their design as a whole made "Level Up!" useless to them due to not allowing them their effects.

If we ever see a revival or resurgence for LV monsters, whether it's extra forms tacked onto extant ones or new sets of them entirely, I want them to design them with Level Up! in mind as a card in the sense that I want Level Up! to actually have some USE for those cards. Something like a condition where the tacked-on extra can be SS'd from-Deck by discarding "Level Up!" and sending such-and-such "LV" monster to the Graveyard or something like that (obviously in addition to its normal method), or where the new LV monster's line is designed more like the older ones so that it doesn't matter so much if you end up using "Level Up!" to make it.

What do you guys think about this notion?
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    I'm gonna chime in here with something related.

I'm sure we all remember when Chazz picked up Armed Dragons in GX, and there was a considerable amount of hype surrounding them -- especially once he produced another form of it atop the existing ones, which went and skipped an extra Level up. And then we became relatively disappointed when, surprise! We couldn't use "Level Up!" to make it. That bit hard.

Same story for some of the later LV monsters like Allure Queen and Dark Lucius, only in their case their design as a whole made "Level Up!" useless to them due to not allowing them their effects.

If we ever see a revival or resurgence for LV monsters, whether it's extra forms tacked onto extant ones or new sets of them entirely, I want them to design them with Level Up! in mind as a card in the sense that I want Level Up! to actually have some USE for those cards. Something like a condition where the tacked-on extra can be SS'd from-Deck by discarding "Level Up!" and sending such-and-such "LV" monster to the Graveyard or something like that (obviously in addition to its normal method), or where the new LV monster's line is designed more like the older ones so that it doesn't matter so much if you end up using "Level Up!" to make it.

What do you guys think about this notion?
    That's a fair idea. On the other hand, to make older LV monsters viable, it might be more productive to simply make a Level Up! card that treats the summon target as having being Special Summoned by its previous form's effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main issues with LV monsters

1) They don't generate advantage by themselves
    2) The LV up mechanic is too slow
    3) They have no in built protection, a requirement for any monster to exist for more than a couple turns in today's game states.
    4) They are not arch type decks, meaning the LV support is generic but each level monster has zero support this put them massively behind any themed deck.
    5) The Conditions for level up are too restrictive and designed in a different age of ygo an thus no longer relevant / achievable today.

Side notes: LV decks kind of function like protect the castle or tower defence. the problem is the castle/tower is weak and outpaced by most effects and cards.

For ideas it would interest me to see if it where possible to some how copy elements of Card Fight Vanguard, Vanguard Units for LV monsters. In a format in that ygo can handle without to many mechanical changes.

The idea would to be make the main monster the avatar and your other cards the protectors or supporters. To that card.

E.g. for example you could have themed cards that could do things like intercept (attacks, an effects etc) and protect the main LV monster and many other options.
    Last edited by Acetraker; 4th January 2016 at 01:00 AM.