User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Card Discussion: Archfiend Eccentrick vs Mystical Space Typhoon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJinzo View Post
    MST can be set as bluff. Your opponent can waste their own MST to destroy your own MST. Since you can MST activate at the End Phase to destroy a new card your opponent just had set, you defuse their backrow before they even get the chance to activate them. While it doesn't get much use during your Battle Phase, in the rare case that your opponent's monster is suddenly equipped with a new card, e.g. like Graydle stealing your monster, you can destroy the Equip Card during your Battle Phase with MST. Since you were asking whether Eccentric Archfiend is a better backrow killer than MST, her effect being Spell Speed 1, she's not as flexible. Against Anti-Spell Fragrance, her Pendulum Effect is useless, while MST can destroy it during your opponent's turn. In non-Pendulum decks, MST has more utility than EA who doesn't even get her useful Monster Effect if she was planned as a MST replacement in the first place.
    Tremendous answer! Thank you! So the reason Eccentrick has such a hefty price tag is because it is one of the best generic Pendulums out there that also functions as a psuedo-MST? Because I was wondering why that card was so expensive $$$
    A Fallen Hero Is The Best Kind of Villain

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait did someone actually need to spell out the ins and outs of MST like that.........

ugh
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.

Registered User Hope in the Interstice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Kaiser View Post
    Wait did someone actually need to spell out the ins and outs of MST like that.........

ugh
    New people coming to play all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope in the Interstice View Post
    New people coming to play all the time.
    Yes I should've pointed out I'm very new to dueling. I've been watching the anime since the beginning. But never really gotten into dueing. Thanks for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twin Twister is pretty much objectively better than both of these cards. But I don't know if it's TCG legal or anything. I have to give it to Archfiend Eccentrick, though. If used right, it is a nice little reusable thing every turn, though not for the comparative reason shown here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically Archfiend Eccentrick is strictly not better than MST and for that reason ,it should be a generic and common card rather than some expensive Secret rare with 0 reprints.
    I'm a bear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolan View Post
    Basically Archfiend Eccentrick is strictly not better than MST and for that reason ,it should be a generic and common card rather than some expensive Secret rare with 0 reprints.
    So that's why it's so expensive! I don't follow all of the rarity and reprints but that explains a lot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    Twin Twister is pretty much objectively better than both of these cards.
    While agree that its effect is stronger than MST and Eccentrick, the fact that it requires discarding to activate makes it a poor choice in any strategy that cannot support the cost. Granted, I don't think there's a competitive strategy right now or in the near future to which that applies, it still can't be said that Twin Twister is strictly better.

As for the OP, the problem with both MST and Eccentrick (hence why its price is falling), is that they can't effectively deal with Anti-Spell Fragrance, which is one of the most problematic cards for Pendulum decks to deal with today. While Fragrance is active, Eccentrick can't be activated at all to use its Pendulum effect, so, at best, it can only pre-emptively destroy a set Fragrance. Even that would be hard to do, because you cannot use Eccentrick's Pendulum effect during your opponent's turn, when your opponent would've set Fragrance. MST is slightly better, in that you can activate it in response to the activation of Fragrance, but neither can do anything to address a face-up Fragrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post
    While agree that its effect is stronger than MST and Eccentrick, the fact that it requires discarding to activate makes it a poor choice in any strategy that cannot support the cost. Granted, I don't think there's a competitive strategy right now or in the near future to which that applies, it still can't be said that Twin Twister is strictly better.

As for the OP, the problem with both MST and Eccentrick (hence why its price is falling), is that they can't effectively deal with Anti-Spell Fragrance, which is one of the most problematic cards for Pendulum decks to deal with today. While Fragrance is active, Eccentrick can't be activated at all to use its Pendulum effect, so, at best, it can only pre-emptively destroy a set Fragrance. Even that would be hard to do, because you cannot use Eccentrick's Pendulum effect during your opponent's turn, when your opponent would've set Fragrance. MST is slightly better, in that you can activate it in response to the activation of Fragrance, but neither can do anything to address a face-up Fragrance.
    As for where the game is right now; having the cost is actually a good thing. How many decks can just explode with a card in the grave that is harder to get there via the field? You can discard anything to activate it. Sure, there are times where you can't do that, but the fact that it more often than not as a negative can setup your graveyard for later (anywhere from a few turns later to right after this chain) is more than enough of a payoff to me. That and the wording allows it to pop just 1 card or 2. As far as the state of the game currently is, I will hold that stance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanako View Post
    That and the wording allows it to pop just 1 card or 2. As far as the state of the game currently is, I will hold that stance.
    There's absolutely no question that it's amazing right now. Just something like discarding Trick Clown or Damage Juggler with it is insane.