User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Card Discussion: Raigeki

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJinzo View Post
    The only time Raigeki was played in the anime was brainwashed Jounouchi vs Atem/Yugi. Jounouchi played Raigeki in his first turn to destroy Big Shield Gardna, and then he attacks with Alligator's Sword directly.
    One could assume this to be a case of even the author/writers realizing how particularly sacky the card was.

On the plus side, though, this means that Joey character decks have an excuse to run another card that doesn't hinge on the player having the devil's luck.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really worth put in any deck , it can make the tides of misery turn against your opponent and help you confirm your victories , this card deserves to stay at 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    really worth put in any deck , it can make the tides of misery turn against your opponent and help you confirm your victories , this card deserves to stay at 1
    It deserves to be banned imho.
    Current Favorite Decks: Ritual Beast, Blue-Eyes, Burgesstoma, Phantom Knights, D/D/D, and Raidraptor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monsters can swarm faster than ever and a good portion of the meta either has protection, are Pendulums, or both. Raigeki is a ridiculous topdeck sometimes, I can agree on that, but unless you have your OTK preparations ready, you're stuck needing to save it when the time comes, and that may be one turn too late knowing how fast-paced the game is now. I'd say it's not really such a big deal yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competitively speaking, choosing to play Raigeki at all is not a strictly obvious decision.

Consider this: It's g1 in your round, and you're playing a deck that prefers to go second. You won the dice roll, and you force your opponent to go first. Your opponent is also playing a deck that prefers to go second. In this case, the opponent does not invest too many resources immediately, and establish a minor field with one monster and two set back-row (perhaps a King of the Feral Imps, a set Solemn Warning, and a set Time-Space Trap Hole). You draw for your turn and, lo, your sixth card in hand is Raigeki, not a combo piece. You can still make your push, but your opponent has two threats set, you can't make as big of a push as you'd like, and Raigeki won't solve any real problems for you. See the issue? This example may seem too specific, but it's the exactly problem that current Pendulum decks face, and it's also why very few competitive decks choose to main Raigeki.

Also consider this: In the same round, you win g1. With knowledge of what you're both playing, your opponent chooses for you to go first g2, and now comes time to side. Would you keep Raigeki in your deck? There is absolutely no reason for you to want to draw Raigeki in your opening hand: Your opponent will not have a threatening field, so you cannot use it, and because it's not a trap card, you cannot set it, expecting to stop your opponent's play. You may want to keep it in so that you can perhaps clear his field turn 3, so that you can have an opening to push. That's reasonable, but if your opponent successfully creates a threatening field that Raigeki would be ideal for clearing, you probably wouldn't survive to turn 3 with sufficient resources to take advantage of the opening anyway. Again, specific example, but it occurs frequently enough that of the players using Raigeki, many choose to side it out.

The issue with Raigeki as a competitive card is that it's not reactive enough to deal with threats as they happen. In our present state where threats are so large that allowing them to manifest typically leads to defeat, Raigeki cannot be expected to solve any real problems when they're still worth solving. Raigeki would be ideal in a format where "annoying" fields that have threatening effects, but not necessarily threatening ATK, dominate the game. This way, your opponent's establishment of such a field does not immediately endanger you, so you have enough time to clear those threats with Raigeki and make your own plays. For this reason, some players choose to include Raigeki in their side decks, to address "annoying" monsters, like Majesty's Fiend, Vanity's Fiend, Denko Sekka, etc.

Of course, in terms of general game design, any card alone that promise gains of up to +4 card economy is ridiculous, but I think it's very interesting to see that situations exist where such inherently powerful cards do not generally perform well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUYRAIDRAPTORS View Post
    Monsters can swarm faster than ever and a good portion of the meta either has protection, are Pendulums, or both. Raigeki is a ridiculous topdeck sometimes, I can agree on that, but unless you have your OTK preparations ready, you're stuck needing to save it when the time comes, and that may be one turn too late knowing how fast-paced the game is now. I'd say it's not really such a big deal yet.
    That's the thing though. The game is so fast at this point that it is incredibly easily to swarm the field and gain card advantage, especially with Pendulums and such. With one card, I can literally clear your field of monsters, or at least the majority of it, without destroying any of my monsters and then proceed to OTK with them or further swarm the field.
    Current Favorite Decks: Ritual Beast, Blue-Eyes, Burgesstoma, Phantom Knights, D/D/D, and Raidraptor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aromaiden View Post
    That's the thing though. The game is so fast at this point that it is incredibly easily to swarm the field and gain card advantage, especially with Pendulums and such. With one card, I can literally clear your field of monsters, or at least the majority of it, without destroying any of my monsters and then proceed to OTK with them or further swarm the field.
    Did you not read what I wrote?
    Last edited by citrus; 23rd December 2015 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post
    Did you not read what I wrote?
    It wasn't there on my computer when I responded to him. Anyways I'm away from a proper computer at the moment, so I'll respond to your points later.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJinzo View Post
    The only time Raigeki was played in the anime was brainwashed Jounouchi vs Atem/Yugi. Jounouchi played Raigeki in his first turn to destroy Big Shield Gardna, and then he attacks with Alligator's Sword directly.
    That's because it's even banned in-universe. All the destruction & burn cards he used in that duel were banned for the tournament, and presumably afterward as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volteccer View Post
    That's because it's even banned in-universe. All the destruction & burn cards he used in that duel were banned for the tournament, and presumably afterward as well.
    Mirror Force wants a word with you.

Battle city didn't ban destruction cards, though it DID have its own F/L list. all burn cards were banned and Monster reborn was limited. Raigeki was presumably on that list too
    Fun fact: in-universe the Gods didn't actually need 3 tributes, the rules just had that for Lv 10+ monsters

any further lack of appearence can be chalked up to insane rarity systems they use there. anything with a Destruction effect was crazy rare in universe.
    I don't have a Problem, I have a Hobby.