Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card Discussion: Mirage Tube

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Card Discussion: Mirage Tube

Quick-Play Spell
    This card cannot be activated from your hand. Activate only when a face-up monster you control is selected as an attack target. Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.
    This is a different Card Discussion thread.
    Why can't this card be activated from the hand, since, supposedly, when a face-up monster I control is selected as an attack target, it should be during my opponent's turn? Is it only to make it more vulnerable? Again, it can't be, since it's supposed to activate during the opponent's turn.
    I'm aware of Condemned Maiden, though, but it was released years later.

So, what am I missing here? What's the purpose of that restriction?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that it was simply to prevent people from even trying in the first place and getting confused by rulings.
    Sanokal

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fair justification. However, a bit incongruous, I would say, since a lot of other cards should have received the same treatment, then.
    Last edited by Pendulum; 5th January 2016 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typo fixing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that this was created early on when people thought quick-play spells worked like instants from MtG and didn't understand you had to place it down on the field if you wanted to be able to play it during the opponent's turn?

On the other hand, if this card has such a restriction, and rulings state you can't flip Quick-plays you've set during the same turn.........why isn't this a Trap card instead?
    I'm a bear.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's similar to what Sanokal said. And that can't be the answer, since other Quick Spells from the same time, even from the same pack, didn't have that restriction. And it's from 2008 (the English version), so... The game already had had a lot of Quick Spells before this one capable to cause some confusion to those newer players, I think.
    As for being a Quick instead of a Trap, well, they are searchable by different cards. Though at the time...
    It's an intriguing card. At least I'm not being able to figure it out for now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at things, it seems the main reason for the fact that it's a Quick-Play Spell Card is because anime. As to why they gave it that condition, I can only imagine that to be preemptive, in a WP:BEANS kinda way -- after all, Ancient Lamp was out at the time with the typical fuzzy wording of the time, so who knows?

Alternatively, and more sanely, it might've just been to make the darn thing behave more like a Trap Card while still allowing the anime to be the anime.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my instinct when to "old card, weird wording" and then to "probably has to do with people not knowing how Quick-Plays work". Besides that, the card is really bad, the image is pretty cool though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    Looking at things, it seems the main reason for the fact that it's a Quick-Play Spell Card is because anime. As to why they gave it that condition, I can only imagine that to be preemptive, in a WP:BEANS kinda way -- after all, Ancient Lamp was out at the time with the typical fuzzy wording of the time, so who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaziuma View Post
    Yeah, my instinct when to "old card, weird wording" and then to "probably has to do with people not knowing how Quick-Plays work". Besides that, the card is really bad, the image is pretty cool though.
    It's true at the time Ancient Lamp didn't make it clear it had to be activated during the Damage Step, but does one card justify for Mirage Tube to have that condition? Besides, Mirage Tube is a bad card, even at the time, so what was their fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
    Alternatively, and more sanely, it might've just been to make the darn thing behave more like a Trap Card while still allowing the anime to be the anime.
    Maybe.
    Although cards like Negate Attack were changed from Spells (in the anime) to Traps when they were released.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    Although cards like Negate Attack were changed from Spells (in the anime) to Traps when they were released.
    Perhaps, but cards like Negate Attack never had their status as a Spell Card be actually relevant to the events of a duel, in particular the ultimate conclusion to a story arc -- the closing events of said duel, in fact (it was the Spell that allowed [Yubel to force Jaden to pick between Grinder Golem and Super Poly], budget invisitext* used just in case someone actually would be spoiled by that somehow).

Maybe that's stretching things a bit, I'll admit, but there are gameplay reasons to want it to be a Spell Card beyond just the interaction that made it so important in the anime, so I suppose that compared to a more prominent card like Negate Attack, it was just better off left as-was with a condition slapped onto it?

*I wish they'd add transparent color availability to here, or if they have it I want to know of how to use it. I won't use it for evil I swear.
    Last edited by Baroque; 6th January 2016 at 01:04 PM.
    #222937 for invisitext in the Org's dark. Try it out!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, maybe you're right. Though it still seems not a very solid reason.
    I guess I'm just waiting for a big wow revelation about this card's restriction.